The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Closing weekend wines...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Closing weekend wines...

by OW Holmes » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:54 am

This time of year, as we start worrying about freezing pipes, we have a "closing party" at our hunt/fish club. The ladies bring treys of hors d'oeurves, the men bring in game (this year, fresh venison, grouse, woodcock, pheasant, and smoked brown trout) and we start it off with a winetasting. These are NOT wine geeks, except for a couple of us, but do bring in some exceptional wines from time to time. I took no notes, not even a list of the 20+ wines, but here are a few recollections.

1996 Cal Cabernets. We had two, a Silver Oak and a Hess Collection. It should have been no contest, and it wasn't, but the contest went decisively to the Hess Collection. The SO was all oak and tannins. I got nothing else at all, over a three hour period. The Hess C was open for business, with dark fruit and resolving sweet tannins, very balanced, and in a word, wonderful. Not as complex as some, but nevertheless the clear winner.

1990 Bordeaux. Again, two of them, by the same donor. Chas brought a 1990 Haut Brion and a 1990 Figeac. There was little fruit left on the HB, but the secondary flavors were gorgeous. I loved it, daughter Karn did not. There might have been slightly too much cow manure in that barnyard. But it was the bottle I sought out when we went to dinner. The Figeac, I think, was very slightly corked. It still had a bit of fruit, but it was hiding under that slight little whiff of wet moldy cardboard. Others did not detect it, and by the time Beth tried it, she had lost her fabulous sense of smell. I intended to go back to it the next day, but the bottle was gone.

2000 Bois de Boursan. Opened 6 hours in advance. This is how a CdP should taste. Still fruity, not closed down at all, and developing wonderful secondary flavors, with beautiful Rhone funk. Better flavor balance than the Haut Brion, but second to that one in gut level enjoyment.

1976 BV Cabernet - the regular bottling. Stored well, but showing only a faint hint of what it must have been. I went back to it three or four times during the course of the evening. It was better at 4 hours than at any other time, and unbelievably showing a little black fruit, but in truth it had seen better days, probably 20 years ago.

2003 Ridge Geyserville. This was probably the favorite wine of the night for most people. Obviously still very young, but the red fruit/pepper nose and fruit forward taste, followed by the spice and nice lengthy and sweet finish, made a lot of converts.

We wrote the names of all of them in our log book, and I will have to check it for the names of others. Perhaps one of the most interesting was a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet and Malbec from California. And a blend of Mourvedre, Syrah, Grenache, Cinsault and ??? - also from California. Both were young, both very interesting if in a new world kind of way.

Great fun. The evening ended with power going out in the women's building and all that chose not to go home (or were unable to do so) taking over the bunk room upstairs in the men's building, and the men there relegated to the sleeping porches - in 38 degree weather. Most of us had enough anti-freeze that it didn't matter.
-OW
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Closing weekend wines...

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:44 pm

1990 Bordeaux. Again, two of them, by the same donor. Chas brought a 1990 Haut Brion and a 1990 Figeac. There was little fruit left on the HB, but the secondary flavors were gorgeous

Really? I'm no Bordeaux expert, but doesn't that seem kind of fast for the fruit to be gone? Or is that just your definition of secondaries taking over for primary fruit?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:49 pm

Probably just my way of saying things. There was some dark fruit in the background, but it was certainly not primary, and for some it was non-existent. The leather, barnyard, hampster cage stuff had totally taken control of the wine. Which was fine by me.
-OW
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:47 pm

OW Holmes wrote:1990 Bordeaux. Again, two of them, by the same donor. Chas brought a 1990 Haut Brion and a 1990 Figeac. There was little fruit left on the HB, but the secondary flavors were gorgeous. I loved it, daughter Karn did not. There might have been slightly too much cow manure in that barnyard. But it was the bottle I sought out when we went to dinner. The Figeac, I think, was very slightly corked. It still had a bit of fruit, but it was hiding under that slight little whiff of wet moldy cardboard. Others did not detect it, and by the time Beth tried it, she had lost her fabulous sense of smell. I intended to go back to it the next day, but the bottle was gone.

Great fun. The evening ended with power going out in the women's building and all that chose not to go home (or were unable to do so) taking over the bunk room upstairs in the men's building, and the men there relegated to the sleeping porches - in 38 degree weather. Most of us had enough anti-freeze that it didn't matter.

O. W. Sounds reminiscent of MoCool, with 16 year old Cabs. Did they remind you of burgs? Some of the old cabs I tasted at MoCool, especially the 1970 Palmer reminded me of a funky, barnyardy burg with lots of secondary development like you describe for HB. :D
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:57 am

OW,

Have to agree somewhat with Rahsaan... sounds like the bottle of '90 Haut Brion was not up to full snuff.

A bottle last fall from my dad and shared with my aunt and uncle while all were visiting here in Knoxville showed more primary fruit and some complexities although still fairly young (certainly for my tastes). It wasn't closed at all though... just still in the primary rather than secondary flavor component profile.

It stood its ground quite well against '83 Margaux (it too was still young-ish but yummy), '83 Lafite Rothschild (just about at peak IMO) and '70 Palmer (certainly more of the mature flavor profile).

Info just presented for comparison sake.

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 am

I remember the 70 Palmer you brought to JG's house, Mike, and I would have to say the 90HB should that kind of maturity. Not the same palate, but the same degree of maturity.
I've had several bottles of 80's and 90 wines that my friend has shared with me, but I've never seen his storage conditions. I have a feeling that they are not the best.
-OW