The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Beaujolais (Brun note #6598)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2004 Beaujolais (Brun note #6598)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:10 am

Ah, good to have Betsy back. I thought she was making chicken for Monday night, but when I got home there was a ham in the oven as well as brussels sprouts. So I poured some of the leftover 2002 Plantiers du Haut Brion as I went to cellar to forage for a rosé. The white Bordeaux was a little more enjoyable to me as an apertif than it had been previous night with food, as is often the case for me with more round whites.

I guess I drank up my summer rosés, so went with a lighter red for the ham, the 2004 JP Brun (Terres Dorres) "L'Ancien VV" Beaujolais. This was a wine that I was less thrilled with than my usual Brun glee on release, but it has grown steadily better for my tastes. Perfect served at my current cellar temo (~60°F). Bright cherry/raspberry fruit with nervy acidity and light tannins. As it sits it gets both more floral and earthy, and the fruit rounds out a bit. Nice clean finish, very nice wine. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.