The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNs on my search for the ultimate Crab Cakes food/wine matchup!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TNs on my search for the ultimate Crab Cakes food/wine matchup!!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:20 pm

One point for chardonnay, could have had two points for Chablis but we changed our minds (sort of!!).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am

Anyway, going back to the Arneis. After a couple of days thought I would check on what is left in the bottle. Still very fruity and lots of apple on the finish. Very nice.

**********hot off the press, I have been asked to make some crab cakes for when Mat Garretson is in town next week. He is hosting a sit-down tasting at DeVines winestore, amongst other events. Should go great with his Viognier blends I`d say.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:18 am

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
Sam Platt wrote: . . . east coast style crab cakes. . .

Uh, Sam, I think you mean Maryland-style crab cakes. Even the often benighted folks in our neighboring states call them that. With a little Old Bay in the mix, my go-to wines are Riesling and dry rose, but in a pinch I could give Mersault and Chablis a go. :wink:

By the way, what your favorite beverage with that "Midwestern" hot dog delicacy, the Red Hot?[/i]

I did a google search for Maryland style crab cakes and the recipe seems pretty ordinary!! I checked out 3 recipes so what is so special?!!! My recipe kicks a...!!!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:57 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I did a google search for Maryland style crab cakes and the recipe seems pretty ordinary!! I checked out 3 recipes so what is so special?!!! My recipe kicks a...!!!

Bob, Bob, Bob [shaking head] . . .

First of all, Maryland-style crabcakes are what one has settle for when one is not in Maryland.

Second, without seeing them, I can't speak to the quality of the recipes you Googled. But "ordinary"--if by that we mean relatively unembellished--is part of the point, assuming one is using the only appropriate raw material, which is, of course, the meat of the Cheasapeake Bay Blue Crab. (Specimens from other southern U.S. coastal areas approach acceptability. And given the sorry state of the Cheaspeake's ecology, as Thomas noted, they've become increasingly necessary.)

If by "ordinary" you instead mean pedestrian, perhaps you're neglecting another key ingredient--Old Bay, or a similar Maryland-style spice blend. (Frankly, the Old Bay has a bit too much celery seed in the mix for my taste.)

Third, do I recall correctly that your recipe includes red peppers, green onion, cream, and--no, this can't be right--chopped scallops? Don't know what you're working on up there, Bob, but it sounds more like crab Imperial than crabcakes.

Whatever. :wink: Does sound right tasty, though. And I'll bet Viognier would pair swimmingly, as long it's got enough acidity.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:03 pm

Clinton, midnight madness this week. Do you think Gary has a team this year? FEAR THE TERRAPINS!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:39 pm

Agh hum well er Clinton, I just added some scallops to stretch the mix and add a bit more bulk and flavor!!
Anyhows found another good match this evening....Soverign Opal, a hybrid that is being produced in BC by Calona. Tasted with some cakes at the Grill, my recipe is better!! Oh la la.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:34 am

If you all thought this thread was done and gone, think again!! Second batch is ready to go and have a couple of whites lined up. Stay tuned forumites...awgh well, a hint. Brise Marin.

BTW forgot to mention that the cakes at Mat Garretson tasting were very well received. "You can come over and cook these anytime" thought Amanda!!! Not my type.
Previous