The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bottom Feeders Special

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: Bottom Feeders Special

by Dave Moritz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:23 pm

WTN: Terra Andina Carmenere 2005 Chile, Central Valley
14% alc. Imported by Terra Andina USA, Manhasset NY.

In the market for something high in QPR yet on the low end of the price spectrum, I picked this up a week ago at the recomendation of a small-shop wine retailer. At seven dollars (US) per copy, it really filled the bill!

Upon opening yesterday, it had the bouquet of a Beaujolais Villages. Deep purple-red in hue out to the rim. Currant, spice, a bit of earth on the palate with nice tannin, acid and good length. And oh yes, just a hint (only) of vegetation - this is from Chile, after all! Even better this eve at supper. It had the palate weight and feel of a New World Cab but without its predicability. Much complexity here. What a food wine (i.e., if you can imagine a well-balanced BoJo at 14% alcohol)!

I'll be on the horn tomorrow to have the retailer set aside several bottles for when I get back to his neck of the woods. BTW, I had tried a 2004 Casillero del Diablo Carmenere some weeks ago, and found it pleasant enough.

Dave Mo