The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Weekend dinner (Fixin + Lovely Sherry)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Weekend dinner (Fixin + Lovely Sherry)

by Saina » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Lately I've been having all sorts of work + university appointments during the weekends and Monday, so Tuesday is my "weekend". So the last Mondays I've been doing what most do on Fridays and Saturdays, i.e. eating and drinking well. I met a friend of mine from Uni today for dinner. He's a great cook (I'm not), so when we meet I bring the wine, he brings the food. He made some chorizos and garlic sausages. It sounds like lots of work - he was stuffing meat into guts until midnight apparently. But these were the best sausages I've ever tasted: spicy, meaty yet fresh. Despite the spice and garlic, they went very well with the Burgundy. I think the rusticity of the wine was quite ideal with such food. The high alcohol of the sherry was accentuated from the spice, so that wasn't a good pairing. Fino might have worked.

• 1999 Domaine Pierre Gelin Fixin Clos Napoleon 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Fixin (10/16/2006)
    23,40€; 13,5%. Gelin's Monopole. Typical lightish colour. The nose is rustic, earthy (like baked brick) and vegetal, yet it also has very ripe fruit and typically red toned (cherry?) berries. But it also has a darker tone to it - almost reminding me of the plumminess of Pomerols! The palate is dry and rather more tannic than I usually find with Burugndy, with a minerality bordering on the metallic. This is a very attractive, rustic wine. I think I'll go and buy a couple more. Attractive now, but I think it can only get better.
  • N.V. Valdespino Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Don Gonzalo Viejo Oloroso 20 Years Old - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (10/16/2006)
    23,59€; 20%. Brown. A rich and deep scent of rancio, nuts, earth and chalk - typical for the type and lovely. The palate has the faintest touch sweetness, but with lovely high acidity and richness. Incredibly long and deep. Lovely.

Posted from CellarTracker