The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any changes to the direct shipping law in Kentucky?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Kentucky

Any changes to the direct shipping law in Kentucky?

by Brian A » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:06 pm

I was wondering if any other Kentuckians have heard if there has been a change to the direct shipping law. In this I mean that it is a felony for companies to ship directly to the individual. The reason I ask is this. My sister lives in Indiana and likes a winery there. She will soon be moving home. So, this past weekend she stocked up on a few bottles. She told the man at the winery that she was moving back to Ky and was stocking up since they couldn't ship to her. The gentleman said that he just received a notice saying that had changed and would now be able to directly ship. Any of you heard of this? I was wondering if this was true or just a misinterpretation. This would be great if it was true :lol: .
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Any changes to the direct shipping law in Kentucky?

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:30 pm

Brian A wrote:I was wondering if any other Kentuckians have heard if there has been a change to the direct shipping law. In this I mean that it is a felony for companies to ship directly to the individual. The reason I ask is this. My sister lives in Indiana and likes a winery there. She will soon be moving home. So, this past weekend she stocked up on a few bottles. She told the man at the winery that she was moving back to Ky and was stocking up since they couldn't ship to her. The gentleman said that he just received a notice saying that had changed and would now be able to directly ship. Any of you heard of this? I was wondering if this was true or just a misinterpretation. This would be great if it was true :lol: .

It's a little complicated, Brian. RIGHT THIS MINUTE, it's technically safe to ship. A judge threw out the old law, so at the moment, there is no Kentucky law in place about shipping at all. But the Legislature, well-massaged by the wholesalers, passed an awful law, taking effect in January, which will put the ban back. I'm not sure about the felony provision, but the short answer is that we're in a state of anarchy for a few months, and any shipper that can be persuaded to take advantage, good for them.
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Kentucky

by Brian A » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Robin, is there anything on the internet that supports this? I'd like to have it as a reference in case any business wants proof.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Brian A wrote:Robin, is there anything on the internet that supports this? I'd like to have it as a reference in case any business wants proof.

Brian, here's a link to a news story reporting the decision. Note that it confirms, unfortunately, the effect of the nasty new "small-winery killer" law taking effect in January.