LATimes: Calif Awash In Wine Bargins...

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

LATimes: Calif Awash In Wine Bargins...

Postby TomHill » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:49 pm

TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: LATimes: Calif Awash In Wine Bargins...

Postby James Roscoe » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 pm

Okay, Tom, what's your take on the article. I certainly am not seeing anything like what is described in the article here in the DC area. Am I just being too picky? Is there really qpr to be had in California these days? I am surprised this article didn't ellicit more of a response from the crowd.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Re: LATimes: Calif Awash In Wine Bargins...

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:45 am

Sounds like it's time to drop by Grocery Outlet and Trader Joe's!

Mike

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Agree...

Postby TomHill » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:56 am

Not seeing a lot of that here in NewMexico, either. Though the NapaRiver brand has shown up at our TraderJoe's (having seen and walked the NapaRiver, that brand name doesn't evoke a whole lot of..positive images).
I think the great bargins are pretty much isolated to the Calif market for right now.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: Agree...

Postby Dave Erickson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:26 am

I can't help but notice that the article speaks mostly of private-label brands and such factory-wine stalwarts as Bronco. Frankly, I have almost nothing to do with that end of the business. Here in North Carolina, the cheap California stuff is handled by the supermarkets. (Note: I have nothing against cheap stuff. We sell no fewer than four Spanish reds priced at $5.99--and they're all good, I might add.)

I'm far more interested in the collapse of Cali merlot prices, and wondering where all that juice is going to go--because you know it's going to go somewhere. I think I posted something earlier about this; I'm expecting to see California Pinot Noir with a new and unusual green bell pepper note appearing sometime next summer.
Dave Erickson
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum