The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 04 Oregon PN, 05 Vouvray

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 04 Oregon PN, 05 Vouvray

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Thursday we ate at a Korean place, I stuck to water with my seafood in a spicy broth. By Friday I was back to wine. Betsy was out of town, I grilled some sausage (Betsy's not a sausage fan, so I get my fix in when alone, like with liver) and squash, with salad. The sausage was a mild feta/spinach one, so I felt a PN would be ok. Opened a birthday gift, the 2004 J. Christopher Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley). Seemed a bit heavy on the vanilla-y oak at first, a little ripe/cherry-cokish at first for my tastes. But that's just first impression, it doesn't take long for it to seem to balance out. Ripe but not overripe black cherry fruit, some oak yet not enough to be overwhelming. Pretty decent structure for a moderately priced wine (I looked, my local store has it for $25). Save half a bottle for tonight-we'll see, but this is a B/B+ for night one.

2005 Pinon "Cuvée Tradition" Vouvray. Based on 2004 of this I thought this would be slightly on the sweet side of sec-tendre, but this is more full-blown demi-sec. Sweet but with a tremendous backbone of acidity. that waxy Chenin thing over a tight peach and apple butter fruit core. Chalk and a hint of flint (in Vouvray? go figure). B+ , and great QPR at $15ish.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 04 Oregon PN, 05 Vouvray

by Marc D » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:30 pm

I had the same reaction to the 05 Pinon, when comparing it to the 04. It is a bigger wine with more substance, noticeably sweeter but with balance and even some minerals. It has a kind of sweet tart tension. SFJoe wrote up a great report on the Loire 05's and he noted that the 2005 Cuvee Tradition had 23 g/L of residual sugar with 5 g of acid. The 23 g of sugar puts the wine into moelleux territory. Regardless of all the technical details, the wine tastes good. Did you notice any boytritis flavors? I wasn't sure but thought there may have been a hint of it.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:30 pm

he noted that the 2005 Cuvee Tradition had 23 g/L of residual sugar with 5 g of acid. The 23 g of sugar puts the wine into moelleux territory.

That is quite the serious upgrade. Must be an interesting wine and yes, one must adjust accordingly.

Perhaps I'll try some.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:09 pm

I didn't notice any botrytis. I wouldn't have guessed it had THAT much sugar, but numbers (and SF Joe) don't lie!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 pm

if we move the decimal point - as i think we are supposed to - then that is only .5% acidity. it sounded like you guys thought it had more than that - sounded more like 10 grams or 1%!!??
david creighton