The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Many notes from a birthday party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Many notes from a birthday party

by Jay Labrador » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:33 am

These notes appear roughly in the order the bottles were opened.

Henschke Tilly's Vineyard 2003 - Crisp, fresh, lean, long. Very dry. Good but nothing special. A mix of Semillon, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.

Garvey Ochavico Oloroso Sherry - Very dry, medium weight. Strong walnut flavor. Outstanding with olives. Good stuff.

Hugel Gewurztraminer 2004 - Rose, lychee nose. Soft, gentle. Dry and a little short. Good wine. Had this a few months back and that bottle seemed to show much better.

Porta Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon Chile 2000 - Pale, orange showing on the rim. Sweetish with a light tannin grip still evident on the finish. Showing much better than I expected but probably won't last much longer.

Alianca Foral Douro 1998 - Pale and very soft. Losing its fruit fast. Bitter finish. Past its best.

Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino 2000 - Very dark, young, spicy, smoky. Great concentration of fruit. Meaty, dried cherry. Full-bodied. Very good with much potential improvement with age.

Banfi Poggio alle Mura Brunello di Montalcino 1999 - Charred wood, mint, sour cherry. Somehow, I preferred this slightly to the Castelgiocondo although my notes don't really reflect that.

Villa Maria Gewurztraminer New Zealand 2005 - Simple, sweet nose. Medium sweet and a bit watery. No depth compared to the Hugel but a good quaffer.

Holz Weissbrodt Dornfelder 2001 - Surprisingly good. I hated this wine first time I tried it a few years back. Showing very well now. Not a great wine but very drinkable and enjoyable as well. Sweet-sour cherry fruit, medium bodied. A good quaffer.

Guigal Cotes du Rhone 2001 - Funky. Woody. Fruit is totally gone. Should have been drunk up years ago.

Prahova Valley Special Reserve Pinot Noir 2000 - Still has some grip and good fruit. Well-judged acidity makes it food friendly. Good QPR.

Banfi Rosso di Montalcino 2004 - Lots of berry and a little bit too much oak. Dry, good grip. Drinking very well now but probably still has more development forthcoming.

Garvey Pedro Ximenez - One of the lightest PXs I've tried. Very raisiny. If you don't like very thick dessert wines this might be a good one to try. Good enough for me.

There were also 2 Greek wines which, unfortunately failed to take detailed notes on. One was a Rapsani Reserve 2000 - a red which I remember to be quite good. The other wine was a dessert white called Samos Anthemis 1998 - Again no detailed notes but it was outstanding, very fresh tasting and a clear winner over the PX for dessert. Since it was a Greek-themed party, ouzo was obligatory as a digestif.