The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 99 St. Innocent Seven Springs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 99 St. Innocent Seven Springs

by Jenise » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:06 pm

At seven years old, this wine which sleeps like clockwork until age 8, should still be asleep but Bob Ross' recent TN gave me the itch to dig out a bottle and I can confirm his findings. It's open--still very youthful and really needing more time to show everything it can do, but it's open and drinking well now. Beautiful bright cherry-berry pinot fruit, violets, a little forest floor and Asian spice, medium body, very little secondary development, and good enough acidity to see it through the next 4-6 years. I'm going to be very stingy with my remaining few bottles. Must be time to check the '99 Brickhouse (St. Innocent's) again (which I bought a case of compared to only a few of the Seven Springs--what was I thinking????).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: 99 St. Innocent Seven Springs

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:51 pm

Jenise wrote: . . . very little secondary development, . . .

Many thanks.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Methinks that I have too little St Innocent (and Domaine Serene for that matter) Pinot Noir in my cellar. I guess every time I'm in a place that has it I'll just have to buy a bottle or two (or three or six, or whatever).
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:00 am

The beauty of these wines is that they're so beautiful young, and then if you're patient, they're beautiful again. I've been buying the Seven Springs since the 91 vintage, and there honestly hasn't been a dog yet. Some showed better than others at various stages, and some lasted longer than others, and I just plain liked some better than others, but I have yet to regret ever having bought these wines. If shipments are legal where you are, perhaps you should join his club. Members are treated very advantageously.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:48 am

What a great idea, Jenise. I've been buying from the Burgundy Wine Company, but why not buy direct? I'll see if they ship to New Jersey.

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:03 pm

A question -- the 2001 St. Innocent Seven Springs is on sale at an area wine shop for $22. I've never had any wines from St. Innocent, but from what I've read of your notes and others', it sounds like this is one of the best Oregon Pinot producers. Does that sound like deal worth taking advantage of?
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:57 pm

Bruce K wrote:A question -- the 2001 St. Innocent Seven Springs is on sale at an area wine shop for $22. I've never had any wines from St. Innocent, but from what I've read of your notes and others', it sounds like this is one of the best Oregon Pinot producers. Does that sound like deal worth taking advantage of?

I think it is Bruce. I haven't tried that particular wine but 2001 in general was a good vintage for Willamette PN. The Seven Springs from St I that I have tried have been good. It now retails around $30, although the 2002 got a lot of points and the price in some places was closer to $40. That being said, the 2001 is likely to be in an awkward place right now with the initial fruit shutting down and the secondary stuff not yet developed. I recently tried a 2001 Seven Springs from Evesham Woods that was pretty closed down. The winemaker has a good feature on his website that gives out detailed info on recommended drinking windows for the various vintages.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks, Marc. I don't mind having to age them a bit, so I'll probably pick up a couple.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Bruce, what Marc said. Also, I've had the wine, and it's very classically structured. It's asleep now but should wake up around 2009 and IMO be one of the longer lived Seven Springs after that.

Killer price.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:08 pm

it's very classically structured.

Sounds great.

Killer price.

Sounds great.

Maybe I'll have to pick up more than a couple. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:36 pm

Bruce K wrote:
it's very classically structured.

Sounds great.

Killer price.

Sounds great.

Maybe I'll have to pick up more than a couple. Thanks!

I'd buy every one they have, Bruce. And any you don't want--well, let's talk! I've been sorry that I didn't buy more of that vintage, but I only have a few bottles.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Thanks for the update! I haven't had this since 04 when it was extremely tight. I basically noted not to touch it until 09. I may move that up a little based on your note.

Do you still have the Brickhouse. I may be interested in trading a 7 Springs for a Brickhouse.

Jason
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:30 am

Well, I am finally getting the chance to taste some Serene! Neil Empson tasting in town this week and will meet up with Mat Garretson two days in a row. Wow. Plus a Henry of Pelham gig.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:16 pm

You'll love the Domaine Serene, Bob.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 pm

We had the '99 SS at David's summer inventory reduction party. It was the second St. I that I had ever had with the first one (an '04 Shea) having been tasted 10mins prior. I loved both! The '99 did take quite a bit of coaxing before it started to give but I really liked what was there..in both of the wines.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:28 pm

Jenise - 8 years like clockwork? I've been eyeing a 2000, and thought I would open it sooner rather than later. Am I to bury it for another almost 2 years?
Diane
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 pm

Bruce, where is the St. Innocent '01 on sale for $22? I thought you were in my neck of the woods, and I would definitely like to find some St. Innocent at that price. Jenise and Bob have waxed as eloquently about it as Otto goes on about his Musar.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:20 pm

Anyone tried a '98 recently?

Notes on another board have been tempting me to pull one despite cautions from the St. Innocent website.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:11 pm

James, here are some 2001s at MacArthurs in your next of the woods, according to Wine Searchers Pro:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacArthur Beverages DC: Washington DC. Delivery charges apply. St Innocent-Pinot Blanc/Freedm St Innocent, 2001 $11.99
Bottle
25-Oct-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacArthur Beverages DC: Washington DC. Delivery charges apply. St Innocent-Pinot Gris/Shea St Innocent, 2001 $17.99
Bottle
25-Oct-2006

Washington Street Purveyors VA: Lexington. No minimum order. 10% case discount, solid or mixed. Delivery charges apply. St. Innocent Winery, Shea 375 Pinot Noir - 100%, Willamette Valley, Oregon, 2001 $19.99
H/bottle
24-Oct-2006

MacArthur Beverages DC: Washington DC. Delivery charges apply. St.Innocent-Pinot Noir/7 Sprig St Innocent, 2001 $21.99
Bottle
25-Oct-2006

MacArthur Beverages DC: Washington DC. Delivery charges apply. St.Innocent-Pinot Noir/Wht Ros St Innocent, 2001 $25.99
Bottle
25-Oct-200
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:15 am

Looks like Bob beat me to it, but, yes, MacArthur is the place. In fact, I'm going there today to buy some, along with a variety of other wines -- my annual fall wine sale purchase. In addition to the 2001 Seven Springs, I'm also buying the '97 Freedom Hill for $17.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:53 am

Excellent. I was looking at the C-W sale, but all I see there are the '04s sfor around $35. Perhaps I should get a few of those to stick in the cellar too?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:56 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:We had the '99 SS at David's summer inventory reduction party. It was the second St. I that I had ever had with the first one (an '04 Shea) having been tasted 10mins prior. I loved both! The '99 did take quite a bit of coaxing before it started to give but I really liked what was there..in both of the wines.

Bill, I can't believe David killed off the 99 already. Though the wine's starting to drink well, there's a place these go and this one's not There yet.

Diane, a year or so ago it was looking like the 2000's were on a fast aging curve and would actually drink earlier than the 99's, but I haven't tried one recently. If you only have one, wait.

Jay, haven't had a 98. My life was too complicated when the 98's were released and I didn't buy any. 1998 + 8 says they should be showing well now.

Bruce and Bob, a friend and I cleaned McArthur's out of 96 and 97 SS's about two years ago. I should have thought to look back. That's a great price on the 01.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:59 am

So Jenise you are saying I should beat Bruce down there and load up the minivan on the '01s?
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:04 am

a friend and I cleaned McArthur's out of 96 and 97 SS's about two years ago. I should have thought to look back. That's a great price on the 01.

The only '97 on sale is the Freedom Hill Pinot Noir for $17. They've also got the 2001 White Rose PN for $26 and the 2000 Brickhouse PN for $27. Once you get into the 2003s, prices go up above $30.

I take it they ship, eh?
Next