The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Serge Hochar visits Helsinki :)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: WTN: Serge Hochar visits Helsinki :)

by Mike B. » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:43 pm

All right, all right, I'll open one in the next few days. I wasn't keen on waiting too long myself, either. :)

Liquor sales vary by province in Canada. Most provinces have a government monopoly, with some, limited, private retailers.

Here in Alberta, the retail monopoly was privatized in the mid-90s. However, the warehouse/distribution is still a private monopoly contracted by the government.

It's a bastardized system and seems to be creating a lot of headaches lately for retailers. Alberta has a tight labour market and employers are finding it hard to attract and retain workers. As a result, the orders to retailers are being delayed to the point that shortages are expected in the holiday season.

We recently saw this during a tasting of Louis Albrecht wines. The store didn't have any of their wines in stock because the order was held up at the warehouse.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:06 am

Mike B and I finally got around to tasting the `92 white last night. Decanted as per Otto`s rec and served slightly chilled. Oak, butterscotch and marzipan on the nose. Some muskyness blew off, not oxidized! Very much a food wine, I found pear hints and all 6 of us thought the nose was a double plus. Nice mouthfeel but the finish was tad short. Very pleasant experience for only $26 Cdn.
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:42 am

A slight correction, Bob. It was the '92. But again, the Musar proved to be a fascinating wine even if the finish was lacking.

Better yet, I still have another bottle. . .
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:44 pm

I wonder when Otto gets back from Zanzibar? If bringing this thread back from the dead doesn't bring him onto the forum, he must still be in Africa.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
Previous