The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Campomaggio Chianti Classico Riserva

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 1999 Campomaggio Chianti Classico Riserva

by Sam Platt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:06 pm

My wife happened on this wine at Sam's Club. We're suckers for anything that says "One time only special buy!" At $18 she was well rewarded for her suckerability.

Campomaggio Chianti Classico Riserva 1999

Color: Reddish purple. Low light at dinner made viewing difficult.

Nose: Subdued spice and old leather.

Taste: Rich berry, cherry and pepper. Understated tannins support a chewy texture. A hint of oak in the perfect quantity to contribute to the warm cozy feel of the wine. A subtle and super elegant Chianti. Not a Chianti that wacks you over the head, but one to savor and ponder. Secondary fruit charateristics and a leathery note emerged as the wine rested in the glass. Had there been any left in the bottle after 45 minutes it's hard telling how complex the wine may have become.

Truely one of the better Chiantis that I have had the pleasure to taste. It would hold its own against much more expensive wines. I have a second bottle that I intend to hold for another year.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins