The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: inexpensive 2000 Haut-Medoc and 2002 Rogue Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: inexpensive 2000 Haut-Medoc and 2002 Rogue Valley

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:11 pm

Monday Betsy made a steak over horseradish-dressed salad for one of the last al fresco meals of the year. I opened the 2000 Ch. Larose-Trintaudon (Haut-Medoc). This is one of the largest vineyards in Bordeaux, and I've never known it to make exciting wine. But Zachys has the 2000 for $8.99, and at that price I decided to try a couple. Rather low-acid, medium black plum fruit with a little cassis. A little herb/tobacco note. There's some tannic structure here (more than in most L-Ts) and it stands up to the steak ok. Finish is short for a B2K, and at it's normal $15 or so I'd probably prefer numerous satellite Bdx, but for an $9 cab blend this isn't bad. B

Tuesday I told Betsy I'd do dinner, and did my standard semi-teriyaki salmon on the grill. I actually did two sides, and followed recipes for both- panko-crusted asparagus ( adapted from a book called "How We Cook", recipe by Arlene Jacobs) and broccoli with warm bacon dressing (from Gourmet restaurant issue). I opened a 375 of the 2002 Foris Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley). I think Betsy's dad has a cousin of something who works for Foris, so I sometimes pick up when I see a bottle. I think this wine (Rogue is more southern Oregon) reminds me more of a California PN than what I think of as Oregon. Seemingly a little sharp at first, settles down into warm cherry fruit with notes of black tea and cola. OK, but I think I prefer good Willamette PNs as a style. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: WTN: inexpensive 2000 Haut-Medoc and 2002 Rogue Valley

by David Creighton » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:34 pm

i opened a '95 larose trint the other night and it was pretty bretty. hope they've cleaned up the cellar since then. at $9 i'd have given it a try too. beats the $20 price tag we heard the other day.
david creighton