The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Cafaro Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 1999 Cafaro Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon

by Brian K Miller » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:57 am

One of my favorite California Cabs, this wine rocked at a dinner with friends this summer.

My favorite wine shop, Tuca's in Davis, had more in last night. The owner and I agreed: this tastes sorta "French"

After bemoaning California Cabs' fruitiness and caramelly oakiness, the last few tastes have been a revelation. Not ALL California Cabs have that flavor profile. This lovely wine, made from purchased grapes, is a pricey but delicious example.

Classic purple in the glass color. Nice nose. One sip-ahhhhhh umami savouriness-but still some nice red and black fruit. Very, very nice and smooth and drinking very nicely-

(and Tucas also had more Smith Haut Lafite 2001!)

The other highlight of the night was the Hartwell Vineyards Merlot from 2002. Chewy, dense, rich Merlot-not a wimpy fruit slurp at all. Tuco noted he preferred the Merlot to their Cabernet. Also enjoyed a Chateauneuf de Pape which was nice but more than twice the price of the other wines, so....no purchase there. It wasn't quite THAT good.

Unfortunately, Mr. Cafaro won't be making the Reserva anymore-he let the grape contract expire. His future wines will be all Stag's Leap estate grown grapes. I like some Stag's Leap-and the 2002 is priced at only
$30, so I'll give him another try.

Looked at my banking spending report. I've been buying way, way too much wine lately that I cannot really afford :cry: . Time to go cold turkey for a couple of years and drink through my cellar!! :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach