The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Anybody (Tom Hill?) heard of Daniel Gehrs? Damn tasty Syrah.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

WTN: Anybody (Tom Hill?) heard of Daniel Gehrs? Damn tasty Syrah.

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:28 am

Daniel Gehrs Syrah 2001 (Santa Barbara County)

Syrah with 5% dollops of Grenache and Viognier.

Clear, dark, ruby-shaded purple. Barnyard-y out of the chute, but that softens up pretty quick. Fabulously complex nose, primarily ripe red plum and dark cherry, with lively nuances of sweet cured bacon, pipe tobacco, black pepper, floral perfume, and an occasional flash of fresh herb. Medium-bodied on entry, fuller in the middle and the back-end. Blackberry flavor with a pronounced leathery streak and notes of graphite and black pepper. Round tannins pick up more grip with air time. Anise and ripe raspberry cream on the medium-long finish. I spent a good amount time with this wine and enjoyed every minute. Never heard of this producer, but I’m on the prowl for more. $5 on closeout (about $10.50 wholesale). 13.9% alcohol.

Tom Hill, have you followed this winery, and if so, for how long? :wink:
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Does A Bear.......Whatever...In The Woods???

by TomHill » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:17 pm

Clinton,
Of course.....I've followed Dan Gehrs from the very start.
He was the founding winemaker at Congress Springs Wnry, in the hills just above the town of Saratoga in the SantaCruzMtns, in partnership w/ Vic ???. They had a very old Zin vnyd there on the property and made some extraordinary Zins from them. First visited him there around '76-'78. The whole story is at http://www.dgwines.com/ourstory.cfm
Also made some pretty exceptional PinotNoirs. What he doesn't get recognized for is some exceptional Chenin Blancs he's made over the yrs.
The CongressSprings operation overexpanded and Dan left in the late '80's and headed South to SantaBarbara, after a brief stint as wiinemaker at some winery over in Palomares Canyon near Livermore, to become winemaker at Zaca Mesa. That's where he learned his craft w/ Rhone varietals. He really lifted the quality of the ZacaMesa wine I thought, and they've continued to improve since his departure, with Ben Silver and Clay Brock making the wines.
When he left ZacaMesa, he founded his own label, still living in Solvang. He also consulted for a number of area wineries there, including Bridalwood as I recall. He has a tasting room there on MainStreet in LosOlivos.
I don't see much of his wines anymore. He used to show at HdR, but wasn't there the last few yrs, which is where I'd try them.
Sounds like, at $5/btl, you got yourself a real barnburner (Kansas colloquialism for exciting) of a bargin.
There....total core dump on DanGehrs....more than you ever wanted to know!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Does A Bear.......Whatever...In The Woods???

by Thomas » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:29 pm

He used to produce an extraordinary Chenin Blanc. Does he still, Tom?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:42 pm

Tom,
At least according to his WebSite, he still makes a CheninBlanc from the Pinnacles area of MontereyCnty.
I haven't had his CB in a fair number of yrs, but his early ones rather impressed me.
They were dry/crisp and had a nice minerality to them. Not sure how his recent ones are, though.
Tom
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: Does A Bear.......Whatever...In The Woods???

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:37 pm

TomHill wrote:Clinton,
Of course.....I've followed Dan Gehrs from the very start.

Good old Tom--I knew you wouldn't disappoint.

TomHill wrote:There....total core dump on DanGehrs....more than you ever wanted to know!!

On the contrary, thanks for the thorough background. As it turns out, I just had a very impressive Zaca Mesa Viognier last week. Interesting to know the extended connection.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Ummmmm...Uhhhhhh...

by TomHill » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Good old Tom--I knew you wouldn't disappoint.

Not quite sure how that "O" word crept in there!!! :-)
Tom