The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

May Wine Focus - Beyond Burgundy: World Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

Re: May Wine Focus - Beyond Burgundy: World Pinot Noir

by Kelly Young » Sun May 29, 2011 8:58 am

What wine goes with "Double Nickels on the Dime"?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun May 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Pinot Nero Barthenau Vigna S. Urbano Alto Adige DOC 1995 – J. Hofstätter - Alc. 13% - is just about the best Pinot Noir which I have had from outside Burgundy and also one of my best buys (bin-ends picked up for €10/bottle). I thought that my previous bottle showed signs of fading but this one was in fine form showing medium body, elegant and pure but complex and tangy red and dark fruit with a lot of "griotte" cherry, still lively acidity, touches of minerals, good length and classical shape on the palate;17/20.

The quality of this PN is undoubtedly favoured by the Alpine climate of the Alto Adige but PN is grown as far south as Tuscany with decent results but rather sweeter and less lively, tangy and classy than this one. I remember an easily enjoyable Pino Nero Case Via 01 from Fontodi and another perhaps not quite so good from Marchesi Pancrazi, but neither were worth the prices asked (between €25 and 30). In fact it was Giovanni Manetti of Fontodi who, at a tasting, pointed me in the direction of the Hofstätter table to show me what PN is capable of achieving in Italy (Manetti's Syrah is much better and his Chianti and Sangiovese based Flaccianello della Pieve are amongst the finest).
Tim York
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 pm

This was about as good as it gets. A perfect meal with my wife and our 2-year old's first French dinner, which consisted of almost exclusively bread and veal cheek, and a Pinot Noir that is at its peak showing all the elegance and freshness that one could want,

• 2004 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Hirsch Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/28/2011)

Just lovely. Elegant. Dusty nose, clean red fruit, restrained, with perfect acidity and balance. This is CA Pinot at its best. At Marche Moderne and 5 course meal. Julia's first French meal.. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am

2007 A.P. Vin Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands, Monterey County, CA
14.9% alcohol
I liked the 2008 better at a horizontal tasting of five 2008 A.P. Vin single-vineyard Pinots. This 2007 was dark purple and tasted rather grapey and extracted. The 2008 seemed in better balance. I also have a 2009 on hand which I may hold for a couple years before trying and I hope it will resemble the 2008 more than the 2007. I also purchased the 2008 A.P. Vin Rancho Ontiveros Pinot Noir from Santa Maria Valley, Santa Barbara County, CA.
Previous