The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Laroche, Kanonkop, Swan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Laroche, Kanonkop, Swan

by Jenise » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:42 am

2000 Domaine Larose VV Chablis 1er Cru "Les Fourchaumes"
Sipped at cool room temp over three hours: Initial shy nose and flavors of grapefruit and brown paper bag blossomed into a wider range of sweeter citrus fruit and flinty minerals with that unmistakable chablis character that is, to me, mildly petrolish. The wine evolved beautifully in the glass and developed a fleeting cinnamon spark on the finish. Though it has the acidity to hold here for years, I can't imagine the wine being better than it is now.

1999 Kanonkop Pinotage, South Africa
A chef friend came over to play in the kitchen and I gave him his choice of wines to sip on while we prepped. We were making Ethiopian food so he asked for something from the African continent, and I chose this. I used to like pinotage better than I do now, or at least, what I strongly dislike is any wine from anywhere that tastes like what I used to call burned campfire logs but which Dale summed up neatly as "ash tray". I don't remember these 99's having that in their youth, but it's unmistakably all over the wine now and I'm unable to conceal my dislike even though the wine is drinking excellently right now for someone who doesn't mind a fistful of ashes among the berries.

1994 Swan Zinfandel, Ziegler Vineyard, Sonoma
Interesting wine. Dark red towards black color, only slight clearing at the rim. In flavor, shows dull but overripe raspberry fruit on the first pass, but when tasted with food the wine wakes up instantly with bright raspberry, plum, sandalwood, spice and chinese incense notes. Stays like that to the last drop. This wine isn't tanking any time soon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Laroche, Kanonkop, Swan

by Paul B. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Jenise, I am getting all wistful this very moment as I read your comments on the Kanonkop.

I am definitely in the love-it camp - that leathery/ashen/coal-fire astringency coupled with fruitcake and strawberry-banana esters makes Pinotage my favourite red vinifera grape for eight years straight already.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:31 pm

Way to go Paul B. Which wines are available in your part of Canada?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Which wines are available in your part of Canada?

Bob, it really does vary with each Vintages release. Kanonkop was recently featured, but at a whopping $45 I actually passed it by - something that would have been unthinkable for me back when it cost a mere $32 here.

I love Kanonkop, but don't think it happens to be twice as good as a $22 Beaumont or Simonsig.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm

The Ziegler vineyard seems to make a different Zin. I haven't had it amongst my favorites -- in fact I only have two bottles in my spreadsheet, both 2000 vintage and one of them still lurking. I found the 2000 to be light in color and body and dark in flavor. I'm in no hurry to open the other bottle.