The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 St. Cosme Cote Rotie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 1998 St. Cosme Cote Rotie

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:44 pm

I craved a Cote Rotie. my friend's recent note on the 1998 Jamet enticed me, but I wasn't ready to open one of my Jamets. Then Saturday night, with dinner at Tocqueville I yearned for a Northern Rhone, but their IMO very overpriced, young vintage wine list didn't offer anything except a 2003 Crozes Hermitage that tasted nothing like a Rhone. So, tonight I opened the 1998 St. Cosme. Very tight at first, but with lots of air, that white pepper, bacon fat nose I love. Medium bodied, with blackberry and more pepper and bacon. It's very nice to drink a Cote Rotie on a Monday night.
Diane
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 1998 St. Cosme Cote Rotie

by Saina » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:33 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:It's very nice to drink a Cote Rotie on a Monday night.

It is isn't it? I usually have a day off on Tuesday, so I often enjoy a long drawn out meal and a fine bottle on Monday also. This week it wasn't CR however but Bordeaux. I've thought many '98s surprisingly open and "mature". This wasn't one of those apparently?

Has anyone tasted the Jamet 98 recently? We recently had another '99 that was young obviously but very open.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:44 am

my friend's recent note on the 1998 Jamet enticed me
I read that note and started thinking syrah as well. We had a '97 Rostaing at Joe's birthday extravaganza that was quite yummy in a smoky bacony sort of way.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:04 pm

Otto - based on what I've heard, the 1998 Jamet is lovely now. I only have two bottles, so I'm not in too much of a hurry to try it.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:05 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
my friend's recent note on the 1998 Jamet enticed me
I read that note and started thinking syrah as well. We had a '97 Rostaing at Joe's birthday extravaganza that was quite yummy in a smoky bacony sort of way.

I love Rostaing, especially the 1999 Cote Blonde.
Diane
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:46 pm

A '98 Jasmin Cote Rotie a few months ago was open for business and sounds similar to what you described in the St Cosme, lots of bacon fat, smoke and extraordinary fruit on the palate. Haven't tried the Jamet.