The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Notes from the road

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Notes from the road

by Florida Jim » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:42 pm

Steve Edmunds, of Edmunds Saint John Wines (ESJ), asked for help with crush this year as his back was hurting. I volunteered.
On September 7th, I got in my car and started the drive to Berkeley, CA. On October the 8th, I got out of my car back at my place in Linville, NC. Six thousand miles of memories, tastes and experiences; here are a few brief thoughts:

This is a beautiful country, even from the driver’s seat on I-40. I urge you to go see it.

Being a cellar rat (or winemaker) at crush is about as physically demanding and mentally difficult as being a full-time roofer in Florida during the summer – yep, I’ve done both, the last, never again.

The number of generous, helpful, hard working people around small wineries is remarkable and one of the most heartening experiences of my trip.

Even though I have seen a tendency on the wine boards of folks getting away from extremely big, heavily extracted, high alcohol, oaky red wines, I think many, if not most, of the winemakers in CA are still interested in making them. Whether it is for the sake of reviewers who seem to favor them or their perception that the public loves them, I see very few people interested in making food friendly, elegant wines that age.
Maybe that’s a comment on how small and impotent the on-line wine community is or maybe it reinforces the power of wine critics over the market. Maybe it’s just the way the market is. But one way or the other, the niche for people like Steve and Kevin Harvey is pretty narrow. These guys need our support.

The number of CA wines that are now pushing the 15%, 16%, 17%, alcohol levels is increasing regardless of varietal. I even tasted some hovering near 18%. Why aren’t these things labeled as “fortified?” (Or does that term have a legal definition? Maybe “amplified” will do.)

There are too many people in coastal CA with way too many cars. But everything grows there, the weather is quite nice and the amenities are second to none. Oh yes, and the cost is damnable.

I tasted a lot of good wine over the last month; here are some of the ones that caught my attention:

1997 ESJ, Sangiovese Matagrano: Without peer among this variety in CA and the equal to almost any sangio. I have had from anywhere. Not the ‘best’ wine I tasted but certainly the biggest surprise. Beautifully pure, character driven, varietally accurate sangio. that was positively delicious.

2004 Tenuta delle Terre Nere, Etna Rosso Calderara Sottana: made from the nerello mascalese grape from vineyards on Mt. Etna in Sicily. An amazing wine (that I immediately bought a case of) with pinot like elegance and nebbiolo like textures. Although my last bottle indicated that this is starting to close down, a little decanter time helped. A unique wine of finesse with a world of promise. About $23.

2005 Tevenet, Morgon VV: If this is any indication of the vintage in Beaujolais, I may go broke. Very Burgundian with more of a pinot profile than gamay. Still, juicy and fresh but quite structured. About $26.

2005 Colle Stefano, Verdicchio di Matelica: Lively and fresh with good depth, lots of spice and perfect balance. Drink now and not too cold. About $14.

N/V Bodega Dios Baco, Sherry Amontillo: At Cesar, in Berkeley; superb with tapas, as was the Fino from the same producer. About $18.

1993 Chave, Hermitage: Bacon, soil and clear red fruit; one of those wines where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

2005 Ferrando, Erbaluce di Caluso: bright, crisp, peachy juice with focus and maybe a slight bit of dissolved CO2 (which just made it that much more fun).

2005 Denis Jamin, Reuilly Pinot Gris Rose: weightless, clean, refreshing, 12.5% and $11. Yummy.

1993 ESJ, Syrah Durrell Vnyd.: secondary bottle bouquet, immense complexity, tremendous flavor and great length. Could still age further but a truly great wine. Also had the 1994 which could be described exactly the same but seemed a little closer to peak.

2005 ESJ, Rocks and Gravel: way too young but wonderful aromatics and big tannins.

2001 ESJ, Los Robles Viejos (red): light on its feet but packed with flavor and drinking beautifully now.

1994 Togni, Cabernet Sauvignon: I have never cared for the herbal tones in the wines from this house, but this one has developed into a lovely, well-balanced wine where the herbal element is only an accent. ‘Nice to be surprised.

And very nice to be home.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Notes from the road

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Thanks for the notes, Jim. It was a pleasure meeting you!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:48 pm

While browsing the forum this morning I said to myself "I haven't seen a post from Florida Jim in a while". Now we know why. Glad you had a nice trip. Although I've only driven as far west as Chicago and as far south as the Florida panhandle, I agree that we have a beautiful country. I took a short trip this weekend to the Alleghany foothills and the colors were spectacular. Thanks for the report. As always, I enjoy your posts.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 pm

Howie,
I have a new definition for the question, "Are you ready for this?"
Its an official interstate sign in green and white posted at the side of I-40 in Barstow, CA - it says, Wilmington, NC 2,544 miles.
For the record, I answered that question; yes and yes.
And I came home to high color in the western mountians of NC.
'Finest kind.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Great notes. This sounds like the kind of trip I need to take some day. Great wines too. Does I-40 end in Wilmington, NC?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:19 am

Yep.
Wilmington to Barstow.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:20 am

Gary,
Maybe he'll need help again next year - and your closer.
The pleasure was all mine.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:57 am

Florida Jim wrote:Howie,
I have a new definition for the question, "Are you ready for this?"
Its an official interstate sign in green and white posted at the side of I-40 in Barstow, CA - it says, Wilmington, NC 2,544 miles.

Jim--
As one crosses the Rt. 50 bridge westbound from the barrier island that is Ocean City, Maryland, a similar sign reads "Sacramento 3094" (not sure if that's the real number, but you get the idea). Glad you're back. Your Etna Rosso sounds lovely--recall the importer? And does ESJ still produce that Sangio?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Its from Marco de Grazia's estate so I bet its him.
Available at Chambers Street for $20.
No sangio this year but Steve keeps an eye open.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars