The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with Thanksgiving turkey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Wines with Thanksgiving turkey

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Had some of my wife's family at our house yesterday for the bird and all the trimmings.

R.H. Phillips Shiraz 2003, California: Very dark red. Spicy and slightly sweet nose.
Rich in the mouth, full black cherries, smoky, spicy, coaco, yummy.
Screwcap closure.

Water Wheel Memsie Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon- Malbec 2004, Bendingo, Victoria: Very dark purple in the glass. Spicy, peppery, black cherry nose.
Rich, with juicy, black cherries, rich, rather jammy, cedary, with a bitter black fruit streak toward the end.
Alas, the 14.8 per cent alchohol was prominent on the end, with an annoying burning sensation.
Screwcap closure

Mas des Bressades 2004, Costiere de Nimes: From Cyril Mares. 100 per cent Syrah.
Black cherries, peppery, loads of herbs, cherry cough syrup, smoky, chocolate, weighty and viscous in the mouth.

Domaine Cazes Muscat de Rivesaltes 1996: From Andre and Bernard Cazes.
A beautiful, golden-copper color in the bottle.
Spicy, rich marmalade nose.
Loads of grapefruit, lemon and apricots all rolled up in marmalade mixture, tangy acidity, spicy, mint, peppery, quite thick in the mouth.

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTN: Wines with Thanksgiving turkey

by OW Holmes » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:55 pm

I would not have thought of Shiraz/Syrah and blends of same for Thanksgiving. But I guess I don't know what is best - only what we do most years - southern rhone or burgundy for the red, vouvray for the white, and one bottle of Beaujolais Neuveau not because we like it but because it is almost a tradition.
Since our topic next month at our wino group at the office is "Wine for Thanksgiving Dinner" I hope to try some new things, but what do all of you use to accompany Turkey, stuffing, sweet potato, cranberry sauce, etc?
-OW
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:13 pm

I like low-alcohol, slightly sweet beverages with traditional American holiday meals...clean, crisp apple cider in the 2%-5% range or a Moscato d'Asti or a Sarr or Ruwer Qba Riesling...there ususally too many textures and flavors for serious beverages, and, as over-indulgence is usually the rule, light, low-alcohol beverages do less damage to the liver and brain.

After the meal, a Fernet-Branca is mandatory.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:04 pm

I guess that's why I like Vouvray with Thanksgiving dinner so much. Soft, a tiny touch of sweetness, nothing to interfere with the food at all.
-OW
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:19 pm

Oh, and WELCOME Robert, to a very friendly place. We look forward to your contributions.
-OW
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:38 pm

I have usually served pinot noir with the Thanksgiving main meal because it tends to go with everything. In fact, my usual routine has been champagne before dinner, pinot noir with dinner and port with dessert. But I'm always looking for a better thought. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks,
Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Glenn Mackles wrote:I have usually served pinot noir with the Thanksgiving main meal because it tends to go with everything. In fact, my usual routine has been champagne before dinner, pinot noir with dinner and port with dessert. But I'm always looking for a better thought. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks,
Glenn

I always have aqba reisling on hand for those that want something in that department. It's been a big hit with some of my nieces who thought they were white zin drinkers. They come to Uncle James's house for the "good" wine. I'll often throw in a Chenin blanc too. I like the pinots, but a nice Bordeaux is always welcome if someone drops it on the table.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 pm

Ah, Thanksgiving: The food match nightmare. Last year we had Leo Hillinger's Zweigelt and a nice Franken from some producer whose name I've forgotten. If it were up to me, I'd serve Champagne and nothing but on Thanksgiving. Well, a glass of Maury to go with a chocolate dessert. (Urp!)

On the other hand, I like the idea of bringing out a Burgundy, an Alsace pinot blanc (preferably from my man Hubert Hartmann) and maybe a Chianti and a Bierzo and a Dr. Loosen kabinett and hey, why not, a big Gewurztraminer...after all, I'm going to be useless on Friday anyway, might as well nurse a hangover as well as indigestion... :roll:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:28 pm

An Open Mike on Thanksgiving wines would be a neat idea!! Who would post starter-upper??