The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

An interesting approach to wine flights in restaurants.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

An interesting approach to wine flights in restaurants.

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:49 pm

The Napa Valley Grille in Paramus has an interesting approach to wine flights, two ounce servings of three different wines around a single theme. They deliver the three glasses to the table in a really cool black wire holder that places the glasses directly in a row on the table.

They describe their program as follows:

At Napa Valley Grille we have an obsession about wine & we believe that the best way to learn about wine is to drink wine. Our flights consist of three, two ounce tastes which have something in common; grape varietal, a specific winery, an
appellation, or flavor profile. Each flight contains enough wine to compare, contrast, experience and explore. Enjoy!!

I try one of these flights each time we dine there, and I'll report on various flights from time to time. Two days ago, though, I spent a few minutes discussing the menu and wine with the manager. I asked him why he would ever feature the following flight:

Juicy, Fragrant White Wines
Refreshing stone fruit flavors tickle the sweet spot on your tongue.
1. 2002 MacMURRAY , Pinot Gris, Russian River Valley
2. 2003 BERINGER, White Zinfandel, California
3. 2003 BONNY DOON, .Pacific Rim Dry Reisling., California

I told him this seemed like a really basic list and not very interesting to anyone who loved wine. His reply really surprised me.

He said that the staff was trained to recommend this flight to anyone who ordered a white zin or anyone who asked for a recommendation for wines -- his approach is that this is a great way to introduce beginners to a broader range of wines.

The program is very successful generally, and this particular flight is their best seller. He said that many people who initially ordered the white zin would order the Bonny Doone after trying the flight.

What a great way to encourage beginning wine lovers to start branching out! :-)

Regards Bob
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: An interesting approach to wine flights in restaurants.

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:32 pm

Bob
I agree, a very good idea. I've seen this done in Tre Galli wine bar in Turin, Italy (might even be in there in a week or two 8) ).
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:42 pm

What we sometimes (often?) forget in the throes of our wine addiction, is that a restaurant has a duty to appeal to ALL its customers, not just us.

Tim Hanni, MW and MS, tells a wonderful story about his Mom, a retired University Professor who is extremely sophisticated and well travelled and well-to-do.

She likes to eat in fancy restaurants, and she often orders huge steaks cooked blood rare, and White Zinfandel to go with it. She often gets those looks from the wine stewards, and every now and then one will respond smarmily with, "Oh, ma'am, I can suggest a much, much better wine to go with your steak than THAT!". The way Tim tells the story it is hilarious how his Mom demolishes the steward, basically indicating that she knows what she likes and what she by god wants is what she just ordered!!! (Only in more imperious and forceful language.)

I wouldn't care a whit if that kind of flight was offered, Bob....as long as there were more interesting sets available as well. I am all for wine flights, and especially in well-run restaurants.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:48 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I agree, a very good idea. I've seen this done in Tre Galli wine bar in Turin, Italy

Surely not with White Zin, though! :shock:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:I agree, a very good idea. I've seen this done in Tre Galli wine bar in Turin, Italy

Surely not with White Zin, though! :shock:

I'll check, but I don't think so :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Ian and Robin, the wine list portion of their is under construction, but they do list Spumanti as a major category. There might be a white zin competitor in that lineup. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:07 pm

Here's what's on offer, Hoke; they have a much bigger wine by the glass list and an even bigger wine by the bottle list. Another great feature -- you usually get a long 6 ounce pour by the glass, but you can ask for three, four, five different 2 ounce pours from the wine by the glass list.

In any event, here's the current wine tasting flight standard selection:

This is a sample representation of the wineries and varietals showcased on our wine list;
some variations may occur as we search out new wines to introduce to our guests.
Wine Flights

At Napa Valley Grille we have an obsession about wine & we believe that the best
way to learn about wine is to drink wine. Our flights consist of three, two ounce
tastes which have something in common; grape varietal, a specific winery, an
appellation, or flavor profile. Each flight contains enough wine to compare,
contrast, experience and explore. Enjoy!!

White Wine Flights

Juicy, Fragrant White Wines

Refreshing stone fruit flavors tickle the sweet spot on your tongue.
1. 2002 MacMURRAY , Pinot Gris, Russian River Valley
2. 2003 BERINGER, White Zinfandel, California
3. 2003 BONNY DOON, .Pacific Rim Dry Reisling., California

Soft, yet Structured White Wines

Three distinct grapes with a similar target of creating balanced bliss.
1. 2003 MONTEVINA , Pinot Grigio, California
2. 2002 HANDLEY, Sauvignon Blanc, Dry Creek Valley
3. 2001 MILAT, Chenin Blanc, California

Classic California Chardonnays

.Oaky, .Creamy. or .Ripe., compare & contrast the styles.

1. 2002 RAYMOND, Napa
2. 2002 ESTANCIA, .Pinnacles., Monterey
3. 2001 ANAPAMU, .Barrel Fermented., Napa

Red Wine Flights

Pinot Noir

Understated & Elegant
1. 2001 KENWOOD, Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
2. 2002 MARK WEST, Pinot Noir, Edna Valley
3. 2002 BEARBOAT, Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley

Merlot

Smooth, Sexy, Supple

1. 2000 SMOKING LOON, Merlot, California
2. 2000 MORRO BAY, Merlot, Central Coast
3. 2002 FREI BROTHERS, Merlot .Reserve., Northern Sonoma

Red Varietals

Silky, Pronounced & Balanced

1. 2000 PALIO VECCHIO, Sangiovese-Merlot, Napa
2. 2003 BONNY DOON, .Big House Red., Mediterranean Blend, California
3. 2000 CLOS DU VAL, Sangiovese, Napa
Cabernet Sauvignon

Big, Voluptuous & Bold

1. 2001 BERINGER, .Founders Estate", Cabernet Sauvignon, California
2. 2001 J. LOHR, .Seven Oaks., Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles
3. 2001 RODNEY STRONG, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma

http://www.napavalleygrille.com/paramus.php
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:49 pm

"She likes to eat in fancy restaurants, and she often orders huge steaks cooked blood rare, and White Zinfandel to go with it."

Hoke, the manager must have heard this story as well -- Tim Hanni is a prolific writer and I have a vague memory of hearing about it -- probably from one of your posts. :-)

In any event, they have a policy of suggesting the beginner's flight and then if the guests insists on white zin, bringing both a glass or bottle of what's ordered and then on a complimentary basis, a tasting of the other two wines.

He said guests always reacted positively, and never failed to finish both tasting glasses.

I don't know if the other four or five restaurants in the chain have the same approach, but this is certainly a wine friendly restaurant, albeit a bit California oriented as you would expect from the name.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:12 pm

In any event, they have a policy of suggesting the beginner's flight and then if the guests insists on white zin, bringing both a glass or bottle of what's ordered and then on a complimentary basis, a tasting of the other two wines.

That, Bob, is a smartly managed restaurant. Probably why you've been there more than once, and would go back again, I'd say.

Supply the customer with what they want, then offer to expand their horizons a little, but without any pressure whatsoever: that is the way to run a profitable business with repeat customers. Happy repeat customers.

(And now we've apparently known each other long enough that I'm telling you my best stories the second...or third...time. Oh oh.) :)
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:21 pm

Bob, some of those vintages that you quote show an interesting variance to what we here in NZ would be serving. Here the Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris would be the current vintage (2006, or maybe 2005), and the Chardonnays would probably be 2004 or 2005. So allowing for the northern hemisphere vintages, we would be talking 2004/2005 for soft whites, and 2003/2004 for chardonnays. It is very unlikely that anyone would serve a 2003 sauvie, unless it was a Cloudy Bay Te Koko 2003 or similar.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:39 pm

Fascinating, Neil. It's worth mentioning that this restaurant is located in the Garden State Mall with about 25 different dining places.

New Jersey has a number of upscale, mid-level and lowscale malls -- the Garden State is just a step below Short Hill Mall, widely considered as one of the fanciest and highest rental malls in the US.

In one sense, the Napa Valley Grille has no competion -- which makes me even more grateful for their efforts in the wine world. I don't think anyone would go there solely for the wine, although I might be mistaken -- there are just so many great restaurants and so many BYOB joints in Northern New Jersey.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:21 pm

What exit is that, Bob?

Not that it means anything to me; I was told that everyone in NJ always asks that to orient themselves. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Garden State Parkway:

Exit 160 Passaic St. - to Route 208 (entrance only SB)

Exit 161 Route 4 (exit only NB)

Everyone in New Jersey asks that but I always have to look them up.

Sometimes it's a PITA to have a great sense of direction; somehow I always know how to get off. :-)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:08 pm

PS: Hoke, I've got a better idea. Get off at the Franklin Lakes exit from 287 and I'll take you over there. Or, explore my cellars.

Any time.

Regards, Bob