The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Matchings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Matchings

by Mark S » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:27 am

Some things are simply supposed to go with each other. Recent examples of how matches are made in heaven, a Domaine Rotier, Gaillac (doux), 'Renaissance, 2001 was a bust with a traditional sweet wine pairing of blue cheese, but came alive with a goat camembert. The color of this was a deep brownish gold, looking advanced to my eyes, with spicy warm notes, butter toffee, warm, cooked yellow plums, banana puree and a spicy finish. With the cheese, this wine lifted it's soul.

I tried that mustard & breadcrumb recipie for some duck legs, and had a Paolo Bea, Montefalco Rosso Riserva, 2000 with it that really cut through the richness of dark meat and roasted duck skin as nicely as a ceramic knife. This was a deep vibrant ruby red. Mentholated red fruits and jasmine tea on the nose with brawny bright red fruits and a strapping, tannic finish. Great balance and purity here, as crystalline quartz, in spite of being a 'big' wine. [this is Paolo's 'Vigna Pipparello', the blend of 60% sangiovese, 25% montepulciano & 15% sagrantino]
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Matchings

by Jenise » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:18 pm

Italian wines are not paired with duck as often as they deserve to be--good choice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Italian wines are not paired with duck as often as they deserve to be--good choice.

Boy, do I agree with that! Burgs and Rhones are okay, but Piemontese reds in general are my go-to pick with just about all things duck.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Italian wines are not paired with duck as often as they deserve to be--good choice.

Boy, do I agree with that! Burgs and Rhones are okay, but Piemontese reds in general are my go-to pick with just about all things duck.

Robin
I thought your all-time best match for duck was ... more duck! :wink:
regards. Agree about Italian wines and duck is certainly seen on menu's in Piemonte.
Ian