The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pronounce This

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: Pronounce This

by Bruce K » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:29 am

Domaine Filliatreau 2002 Saumur Chateau Fouquet , $8
Nice red berry aromas and flavors accented by smoke, earth and herbs. Nice acidity, bright fruit, quite smooth. Excellent match with pesto. The next day, it’s just as delightful; bright, complex fruit with smoke, earth and herbs. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Now for my question: Is the domaine pronounced “Fee-yee-ah-troe ?” Or something completely different?

G.D. Vajra 2000 Dolcetto d'Alba Coste & Fossati, $17
Fairly intense plum, blueberry and blackberry fruit accented by dark earth and lots of minerals on the nose and palate. Low-acidity, fairly smooth but some tannins still remain. I wish there was more acidity, but I know this is a frequent trait of dolcetti. Still, it went very well with linguine in a shrimp and tomato sauce. Importer: Country Vintner.

Same question, different language: Is it Veye-rah? Vahj-rah? Or something else?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Pronounce This

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 am

Bruce K wrote:Now for my question: Is the domaine pronounced “Fee-yee-ah-troe ?” Or something completely different?

I'd say that's close, Bruce. I'm never quite sure when the L is sounded in a French double-l combination, but I don't think your rendition would embarrass you if you uttered it in a tasting room.

Same question, different language: Is it Veye-rah? Vahj-rah? Or something else?

Guessing again - 'j' isn't common in Italian, and generally shows up in words borrowed from other languages, but I'd go with "Veye-rah," assuming that you're using "eye" as the English word for the organ of vision. ;)
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks, Robin.

I'm never quite sure when the L is sounded in a French double-l combination

I always assume two Ls together equals a "Y" -- that's true of Spanish as well, I believe -- but I'm not sure whether there are exceptions in French.

assuming that you're using "eye" as the English word for the organ of vision.

Indeed. Ewe are correct.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:58 am

I believe the common pronunciation (in French) would probably be: feel-ya-trow.

While the double "l" is generally a "yuh" sound, the vowels that follow would negate this (feeyah-e-a-trow is unwieldly, I don't think anyone would say it that way).. Also, the double "l" is probably unnecessary in terms of pronunciation, just a leftover from a bygone period.

As this is a common name, there are no hard and fast rules... I thought you'd pronounce the "l", but asked my (French) secretary for her opinion. She agreed.

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:01 am

Thanks -- that makes sense given the French resistance to awkward sound constructions -- "feel-ya-trow" comes out much smoother on the tongue (not unlike the wine itself).
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 pm

I'm glad you weren't asking for a pronounciation of "Fouquet" :wink: One slip and offence is guaranteed...
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:29 pm

What the Fouquet are you talking about? :shock:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:38 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I'm glad you weren't asking for a pronounciation of "Fouquet" :wink: One slip and offence is guaranteed...

Then let's not go into talking about Pouilly-Fuisse when you've been seriously over-served. :wink: