The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Grgich Hills Zin '00

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Grgich Hills Zin '00

by John Treder » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:18 pm

Napa Valley, $25 at the tasting room in February 2004.

Sometimes wine really does improve in the bottle.

I opened my second bottle of this with spaghetti this evening.
A good deal better after another couple of years (see below). Shows the difference between Napa and Sonoma or DCV Zins. Dark transparent ruby, more Sangiovese-like flavor than Syran-like, light, smooth amd medium long. A couple of years helped a lot!

From June 2004: Decent enough Zin. A faint sweetness on the mid palate, and a longish, berried finish. Slightly hot. Would have been a bargain at $15.

Either the finish shortened with the blending of the alcohol and tannin, or my opinion of length changed. Quite likely both.

There was only a bit of tartrate on the end of the cork. I drink so much unfined/unfiltered wine that I'm a little surprised to find a cork that isn't pretty crusty.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Grgich Hills Zin '00

by Jenise » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:28 pm

John, years ago friends in Alaska arranged a 20 year retrospective of Grgich zins. IIRC, the span was 74-94 They owned most of the wines needed, and Mike Grgich sent the hole-fillers. It was quite impressive. There were, essentially, almost no dogs, and the best wines were not neccessarily the ones remembered as the best years, though some were. Anyway, very impressive. I wonder if these wines still age like that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:Napa Valley, $25 at the tasting room in February 2004.

Sometimes wine really does improve in the bottle.

Was it corked or screw capped?

Inquiring minds want to know....
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 pm

You know the Great Wall of China? Hadrian's Wall? The Berlin Wall? The Mexican wall? They're putting up a Napa Wall to keep the screwcaps out!

:-)