The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Today's Laff In The Wine World...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Today's Laff In The Wine World...

by TomHill » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:06 pm

Noticed a full page ad in my latest Newsweek for one Tony Laithwaite and his 4Seasons wine offer (http://www.4SeasonsWine.com). You can taste "EXCEPTIONAL" wines YOU WON'T FIND IN STORES....6...count'em..6 for only $29.99!!!
WOW...whatta deal. I'm buying a $hitload (Kansas colloquialism for a lot).
When you go to his WebSite, you soon understand why you won't find them in stores...a buncha shlock under made-up names. Surprisingly..you can also find Seth Kunin's '02 Syrah/AlisosVnyd...at $40/btl.
But wait...there's more. For this $30, you also get FREE a DELUX CONNOISSEUR CORKSCREW SET IN A WOOD PRESENTATION BOX!! A $49.99 value!! Wow..I'm impressed.
But wait.....these "fabulous wines are not mass-produced in factories, but are made with pride by dedicated vintners"!! The Merlot....is made by San Antonio Wnry in Los Angeles..obviously NOT mass-produced...limited to only a gadzillion cases I suspect.
Anyway...makes for some amusing Sat morning reading.
Tom
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Today's Laff In The Wine World...

by Peter May » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:48 pm

I had a look at the website but I couldn't see Tony Laithwaites name anywhere.

He is well known in UK; he started more than 30 years ago by driving a van down to southern France, buying wine and selling it back to UK. He now runs huge operations under various names and now owns the famous old Bristol wine shippers Averys.

There have been several threads about his operations on the UK forum, mostly relating to the overuse of hyperbole in marketing the wines.

However, its a slick operation with fast delivery, a no-quibbles money back guarantee and many satisfied customers -- me included. (though the 4 Seasons seems a different deal where you are committed to buying regularly.

See http://www.laithwaites.co.uk and click on "I began with a van ..." link at bottom left if you want his background