The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines post-typhoon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Wines post-typhoon

by Jay Labrador » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:59 am

Last Thursday Manila suffered a direct hit from a typhoon, the first direct hit in 11 years and the most powerful to hit in the last 20. Power was cut in most of the city for the next 5 days so any excuse to go out and consume the warming stock of wine in the Eurocave was welcome. We settled on Uno in a part of the city where power was quickly restored.

Guenoc Victorian Claret North Coast 2001 - A Bordeaux blend. Medium-bodied, good sweet fruit. Soft tannins. Oak becomes noticeable after 30 minutes of airing. Perfect to drink now. Very good.

Rustenberg John Merriman 2003 - A Bordeaux blend. Very dry, dried fruit character. Some charcoal notes. I didn't like this. A letdown after the Guenoc.

Quinault L'Enclos St. Emilion Grand Cru 1998 - My bottle. Soft, almost alarmingly so. Earthy, mint, some wood notes. Seems like a rather insubstantial wine. Fruit seems to be fading as well. Good enough but not what I expected. Perhaps a bad bottle?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: Wines post-typhoon

by Carl Eppig » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:16 am

Whoever wrote about the "Calm after the storm" should change it to the "Wine after the storm;" after reading your's and other's recent adventures.