The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Uncorked tasting London. a few Californian wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 am

UK and South Africa

Uncorked tasting London. a few Californian wines

by keith prothero » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:36 am

• 2004 J. Rochioli Pinot Noir Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (10/5/2006)
    Medium ruby;attractive,complex,ripe red fruit and graphite aromas with some pleasant barnyard notes;subtle strawberry and cherry flavours,lovely creamy texture,with youthful acidity.Soft tannins and a long finish.Excellent (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (10/5/2006)
    Deep red;Lovely nose of blackcurrents,herbs with spicy edge.Although quite tannic,the palate is really smooth and rich with lovely balance.Attractive spicy finish.Very good/excellent (90 pts.)
  • 2004 Cuvaison Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Napa Valley, Carneros (10/5/2006)
    Pale,straw colour.Fresh lemon and lime aromas,more at the citrus end of SB than grass.Lovely crisp taste with fresh fruit acidity and appealing citrus to a long,clean finish.Very good/excellent (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Uncorked tasting London. a few Californian wines

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:31 pm

Rochiolli was the first "premium" wine I ever drank. Even 15 years ago, it was delicious. I still remember polishing off a bottle at Square One Resturant in San Francisco with my sister and then wandering semi-drunkedly around the City for quite awhile until we were sober again. :lol:

And...I'm not even really a big fan of Pinot Noir. Still a great winery/vineyard.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Keith, was the Ridge a zindandel? All that spice makes me think so, though they do make a SCM cabernet too, or used to.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:54 am

No Jenise its a Cab/merlot blend but just before tasting this,I had been tasting a range of Ridge wines including the Geyserville zin,so possibly I still had a bit of spice from that on my palate :P
Actually,we also tasted a range of quite delightful Shafer wines,and I especially enjoyed the Firebreak,which is Sangiovese with a touch of cab.They are all quite expensive though,and I do not think represent especially good value for money.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:10 am

Keith, I know that you, yourself, put a lot of time, energy, passion and money into the Peebles Project. I was wondering what forumites over here can do to get involved? I believe you have a number of wine tastings/off-lines in the UK to raise funds, maybe something can be looked at over here?
no avatar
User

keith prothero

Rank

Wine geek

UK and South Africa

by keith prothero » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:58 am

Very good of you to suggest that Bob.
Pebbles do not as yet have any Canadian or USA bank accounts but naturally,they would welcome transfers to their UK account,details of which are on the website.
Maybe,I should organise an offline in Canada,next year or perhaps you may like to do it for me.
I am off on my migration to sunnier climes in two weeks,but if there is enough interest,I will happily fly over next summer to attend a fund raising offline and speak to the gathering,re the work that Pebbles is doing for poor kids in the Cape winelands.