The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine progression at lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Bermuda

Wine progression at lunch

by Josh » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:39 am

I have noticed (noticed is not the right word) that my client lunches always have a similar progression of wine. You may find it interesting and I wonder if you have the same expereince

Bermuda is very open in it's acceptance of lunchtime drinking. Very much like Europe, if you walk into a good restuarant at 1:00 pm any day of the week, there will be people drinking. This is good and bad for me, in that I get paid to drink at lunch once evry two weeks or so. It is bad in that my lunches last 12 hours sometimes. But I digress.

As another aside, we have developed a class system, similar to the Hurricane scale to describe our lunches. A tropical storm would signify a quick lunch with maybe a glass of wine, while a class 5 lunch would represent major catastrophe to both home and body. Class 5 is rare but it happens. You can fgure out the rest of the scale.

Anyway, whoever sits down first will imediately order a bottle of dry white wine. This is before looking at the menu, ordering water, or even saying hello to the waiter. If I am first, I will order a bottle of Seresin. White is expected because it is good for hangovers (many of my clients will be hungover from the night before) it is in a screwcap so you don't have to wait, it is cold to cool you down from the heat of bermuda, and you don't have to think about it. You don't want the wine dominating the discsussion when you are meeting and greeting.

Usually 1 more bottle of white to go with starters.

The Alpha wine guy (i.e. the person in our group who knows the most about wine) will then order a (usually) big red. This will either be French or Italian depending on the Alpha wine guy, no exceptions. Never California Cab.

If I am ordering, I might order a Tignanello or a Cignale. Probably half the table is eating a cut of meat, so this stands up well. If it is an important client, we will go Burgundy and let the wine guy suggest something. $100 a bottle at least.

This is also the time in the lunch to discuss wine, so it helps if you pull out something interesting. Occasionally I will chat with the wine guy (I mean the wine steward of the restaurant) before lunch to have something ready that will spur discussion and/or impress.

Interestingly, during the big red stage of the lunch, we will often reject the first bottle after it is finished and choose something new. I am not sure why this is, but people like to hem and haw over the wine and perhaps it makes us all feel intelligent to say something like ("wouldn't that Bordeaux be better")

The final stage of wine would be a Burgundy or something lighter. This is really the only stage that American wines come in. Last week it was an Oregon pinot. This is kind of like our dessert wine. the wine discssuin has ebbed, so something drinkable is all that is needed. Although you still need a good wine that will not taste like piss next to the spectacular Italian you just drank.

Then espresso and back to work

Unless of couse there is a bonus stage! :!: Sometimes at 3:30 on a Friday after we have all finished our espresso, someone will suggest "one more quick bottle" and then all bets are off. This also signals the transition from a class 2 to a class 3 lunch. Minor damage expected. The wine could be anything at this point and the wine guy (steward) is now our best friend.

Well that's my story!

:P Dinner is a whole different progression!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wine progression at lunch

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:19 am

Ahhh, yes. Liquid lunch! Years ago I worked in a sandpaper factory. As the sandpaper is cut into various shapes (sheets, disks, belts, etc.) a large amount of scrap is generated and there was one guy assigned to do nothing but transport buggies of scrap to the trash compactor. I went to lunch one day with this fellow and witnessed his routine. We only had a 30 minute lunch break, and he would drive to the closest bar. Waiting for him on the bar as he entered, was a shot of wiskey, a glass of draft beer and an empty glass. He would toss the beer back and for between the two glasses to reduce the carbonation (so he could drink it faster), drink the shot, chase it with the beer and repeat this 5-6 times before returning to the plant in less than 30 minutes. Needless to say, over the years the scrap buggies developed a lot of dents. :shock:
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:35 am

I try to be responsible. Any meetings or family obligations and the long lunch is out. And I certainly don't operate heavy machinery.
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:37 am

Howie Hart wrote:Ahhh, yes. Liquid lunch! Years ago I worked in a sandpaper factory. As the sandpaper is cut into various shapes (sheets, disks, belts, etc.) a large amount of scrap is generated and there was one guy assigned to do nothing but transport buggies of scrap to the trash compactor. I went to lunch one day with this fellow and witnessed his routine. We only had a 30 minute lunch break, and he would drive to the closest bar. Waiting for him on the bar as he entered, was a shot of wiskey, a glass of draft beer and an empty glass. He would toss the beer back and for between the two glasses to reduce the carbonation (so he could drink it faster), drink the shot, chase it with the beer and repeat this 5-6 times before returning to the plant in less than 30 minutes. Needless to say, over the years the scrap buggies developed a lot of dents. :shock:

So this guy had 10-12 drinks at lunch everyday??
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:34 am

Josh, I can't imagine having to live through an evening of sobering up (and staying awake!) after attending a lunch like this! Your clients are a hearty bunch. But on a more specific note, love that Seresin!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:09 pm

Unfortunately, there rarely is sobering up in the evening. :oops:
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:50 pm

Now how do you get a job like this? Going to long lunches and drinking fine wine.

I went to an Italian wine tasting last week. I started asking the distributor questions about her job. She had just gotten back from a month long trip to Italy touring their suppliers wineries. I asked her the same question. She said "luck."
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Yes, what business are you in?
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 pm

I'm a consulting actuary. Rabidly boring.

Except for the long lunches, of course... :wink:
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Sorry, I see the confusion.

I get paid while I am having lunch. And I try to entertain clients every other week at least.

I'm not a wine taster or anything.

I wish I were
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:51 am

Actuary, hmmm, as long as the numbers still add up after all the wine..

Sounds good. I can't say my meals follow similar progressions. The offlines are of course a frenzy of cork popping and pouring. But the usual meals don't involve quite as much ego and status, as it's just me and sometimes my girlfriend. (Although she might have a different opinion about that ego bit)..