The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Aubert Chard & PN, LWC Rosellas & a Gerhard Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: Aubert Chard & PN, LWC Rosellas & a Gerhard Spatlese

by Jason Hagen » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm

2004 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren
No notes on this one but it does seem to be shutting down. Showing more richness and oak than when I had it earlier in the year. The minerality and citrus is starting to hide. Bury this one for awhile.

2005 Gerhard Spatlese Hattenheimer Hassel
The first thing that caught me out was the glass cork. But it was pretty cool. So far, I like it. If they work, this can have the mystique that the screw top is missing. The wine aromas jumped out of the glass. Peaches and flowers for days with a slight hint of herbs. We had this with a slightly spicy pezole and the clean fruit really cut through nicely. The sweetness comes through but its not cloying. For some people it was too sweet on the finish but it didn’t bother me.

2003 Aubert Pinot Noir Rueling Vineayrd Sonoma Coast
My first Aubert Pinot. I think these go for around $75 but you wouldn’t catch me paying that kind of money. Really delicious but a wine like this can be found for half the price. Big on concentration and dark fruits. Definitely packed with flavor and initial complexity but if you are looking for an interesting finish, you won’t find it here. Most at the table loved it because of the intensity of flavor and they the fruit hit on the attack. But for my tastes I need a bigger shot of acidity to match the fruit and wood. Also, if you are sensitive to heat, which I am, this won’t be for you. I love the Chardonnays and would be more than happy to drink the Pinot but I will keep my purchases limited to the whites.

2004 Loring Pinot Noir Rosellas
Rosellas is hit and miss for me. I tasted this earlier in the year and thought it was a hit but needed some cellar time. At least 2 years. But since someone else was opening, I was glad to drink. Smelled and tasted like Rosellas (I think that should be a valid descriptor). Great concentration with all that Rosellas darkness. For me this showed better complexity and balance than the Aubert and also didn’t show the heat. I will continue to wait before opening more of my own stash….although my wife loved it and was requesting we open a bottle this week. Hmmm….she’ll probably win :wink: .

Cheers,
Jason
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Aubert Chard & PN, LWC Rosellas & a Gerhard Spatlese

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:50 pm

Yes, those Gerhard wines are not necessarily cloying, and I guess they are fine example of a certain style, but depending on preference, people will diverge.

And I happen to be one of those not inclined to enjoy..
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Glad to hear that I don't need to worry about buying the Aubert Pinots, Jason... thanx for the notes.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

Re: Gerhard Spatlese

by Jason Hagen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:51 am

This is the first Gerhard I have had. So you are saying this would be representitve of the style?

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:54 am

James Dietz wrote:Glad to hear that I don't need to worry about buying the Aubert Pinots, Jason... thanx for the notes.

But they are so easy to come by :lol: I think you should hunt some down and prove me wrong :roll:

Jason
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Gerhard Spatlese

by wnissen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:41 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:This is the first Gerhard I have had. So you are saying this would be representitve of the style?

Dear Jason,

I'd say it's reasonably representative of the "fun" Gerhard wines. They have unusual tropical flavors (the eiswein is downright pineapply) and are low on balancing acid. Sort of the fruit bomb of riesling. In general, the Spatlese and sweeter wines are in this style

However, he also makes a dry "Al Alba Vincero" wine that is almost tart, and great with food, as well as a Sekt, so not all Gerhard wines are that way.

Walt

P.S. Full disclosure, he is an acquaintance.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:33 am

Rosellas is hit and miss for me.

Intriguing statement. The 03 August West Rosellas is in my personal California Pinot Hall of Fame. My god, I loved that wine. The only other one I've had was a Siduri 02, and I opened that one too young or too soon after delivery, not sure which. It certainly didn't transport the way the August West did, in fact I can't remember it in any detail. But such was the Auggie that I could be talked into buying bottle after bottle of Rosellas vineyard pinots looking for just a reasonable glimmer of what I got in that other wine (two bottles, a year apart, identical reaction). I'm almost surprised I haven't already. The Loring sounds like a good place to start (and I love Brian's wines).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:57 am

I still have two bottles of the 03 August West Rosella's and 2 of the 04 as well. Besides Loring, A.P. Vin and Roar both make a Rosella's bottling. The 04 Roar is amazing!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:06 am

Jim, if you have two bottles--try one! Really. That wine has exceptional character and you should enjoy it while it's at it's most vivid.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:08 am

I meant 2 left!! I have tried it various times.... But not in a year or so...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:32 am

August West does a great job w/ Rosellas (for my palate) but many of the others are just okay. Speaking of Roar, I am not a fan, and the 03 Rosellas was my winner for worst wine of 05. That takes into consideration of the price.

Rosellas, Garys' and Pisoni just don't do it form me. Garys' is always simple and Rosellas and Pisoni go from really nice and interesting to bad.

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:37 am

Jason.. I'm beginning to wonder if our palates are diametrically opposed. I can use you as my anti-Parker!! What you like, I don't bother with. What you hate, I buy, buy, buy!! 8)

Actually, maybe I'm a bit like Jack in Sideways... I find myself saying more and more as I taste something.. "I dunno, I like it!!"
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:49 am

James Dietz wrote:Jason.. I'm beginning to wonder if our palates are diametrically opposed. I can use you as my anti-Parker!! What you like, I don't bother with. What you hate, I buy, buy, buy!! 8)

Actually, maybe I'm a bit like Jack in Sideways... I find myself saying more and more as I taste something.. "I dunno, I like it!!"

With regards to Pinot...this maybe the case. Did you try any of the WesMar? I love big young Pinots (Loring, Kosta Brown etc) but pinot becomes very special with age. So many of my favorites won't become interesting until they have had a nice sleep.

But hey....I did like the Pride of Cucamunga!

Let's meet for lunch the week of the 16th...if you can.

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:57 am

Jason... no WesMar yet.. but if they make in the style of Williams Selyem, their somewhat progenitor, I should like them.

The week of the 16th is fine.. we'll talk.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:52 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:August West does a great job w/ Rosellas (for my palate)

And you're a St. Innocent fan. We can talk. :) How do you feel about Arcadian?

Garys' and Pisoni just don't do it form me. Garys' is always simple and Rosellas and Pisoni go from really nice and interesting to bad.

Never had a Roar period, let alone Roar Rosellas. I've liked Pisoni wines from time to time but never thought them worth the premium, and Gary's didn't use to float my boat (like you, I thought the wines too simple) but one vintage of the Siduris (99 maybe?) aged into something earthy and fantastic. That said, my favorite Siduris have been the cooler Anderson Valley vineyards, Cerise and Sapphire Hill now, and his very first wine period, from the Rose Vineyard.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 pm

Jenise wrote:
And you're a St. Innocent fan. We can talk. :) How do you feel about Arcadian?

I love Arcadian. One of the few wine clubs I belong to. I even held a dinner with Joe Davis and Brian Loring in attendance. Lots of great wine. Best of both worlds.

BTW: Having dinner with Mark Vlossak on Tuesday.

Jason wrote:Garys' and Pisoni just don't do it form me. Garys' is always simple and Rosellas and Pisoni go from really nice and interesting to bad.

Jenise wrote: Never had a Roar period, let alone Roar Rosellas. I've liked Pisoni wines from time to time but never thought them worth the premium, and Gary's didn't use to float my boat (like you, I thought the wines too simple) but one vintage of the Siduris (99 maybe?) aged into something earthy and fantastic. That said, my favorite Siduris have been the cooler Anderson Valley vineyards, Cerise and Sapphire Hill now, and his very first wine period, from the Rose Vineyard.

Agreed. Sometimes there are wonderfull wines from these vineyards...there are just better vineyards for my taste. We had one tasting that basically had about 60% (just a guess) of the wines made with Pisoni fruit...ever. Some good ones but I didn't taste one wine that created a "wine memory".

And I am one of those that thinks Garys' should go 100% Syrah.

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:11 pm

Some good ones but I didn't taste one wine that created a "wine memory".

I like the way you put that. Haven't we become jaded, though, now that it's not good enough to be merely well made, balanced wine from a good vineyard, we require wines to reverberate in such a way that they're unforgettable? Not being critical, I'm in the same boat. The two that have given me that experience in 2006 are the aforementioned 03 August West Rosellas and the 04 St. Innocent White Rose. Almost in that category but not quite, my last 99 Siduri Christian David. Speaking of innocents, you were going to open an 04 White Rose a few weeks ago but I don't recall a report from you on the wine. What'd you think?

And you're having dinner with Mark? I'm jealous.

Re Arcadian--thought so. Considering what else you like, it almost had to be. And there's a Pisoni to love, or, at least the 00 is. I took one to lunch with a Burgophile friend at a French restaurant in Vancouver where we poured the owner a glass. His eyes got huge. "Thees ees from Caleefornia?," he said in disbelief. "Henri! We must get thees wine!"
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:44 pm

Jenise... what restaurant?

Yeah, Jason is our SoCal St. Innocent pimp...I'm sure you'll hear from him on the White Rose.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:47 pm

Jim, I'll email you the restaurant's name.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:37 pm

Jenise wrote:
Some good ones but I didn't taste one wine that created a "wine memory".

I like the way you put that. Haven't we become jaded, though, now that it's not good enough to be merely well made, balanced wine from a good vineyard, we require wines to reverberate in such a way that they're unforgettable? Not being critical, I'm in the same boat.

Yes I have become jaded. With so many options/vineyard/wine-makers I have high expectations for anything I purchase. And I do purchase the big 3 SLH vineyards but not as much as others. But most of the people around here would claim one these vineyards their favorite.

Jenise wrote:The two that have given me that experience in 2006 are the aforementioned 03 August West Rosellas and the 04 St. Innocent White Rose. Almost in that category but not quite, my last 99 Siduri Christian David. Speaking of innocents, you were going to open an 04 White Rose a few weeks ago but I don't recall a report from you on the wine. What'd you think?

Have you tried the 04 August West Rosellas? We had a dinner with Ed Kurtzman and he poured that and the Graham Vineyard. I loved the Graham but the Rosellas showed the greater potential. I am letting mine rest.

I did have the White Rose a few weeks ago. I didn't take notes but I was a little mixed. My wife loved it from the start as did I but I noticed a herbaceous streak going through it. It kind of distracted me. I am going to talk to Mark about it because I think the bottle may have been flawed. When I barrel sampled it I didn't notice that.

Jenise wrote:And you're having dinner with Mark? I'm jealous.

I'll post notes.

Jenise wrote:Re Arcadian--thought so. Considering what else you like, it almost had to be. And there's a Pisoni to love, or, at least the 00 is. I took one to lunch with a Burgophile friend at a French restaurant in Vancouver where we poured the owner a glass. His eyes got huge. "Thees ees from Caleefornia?," he said in disbelief. "Henri! We must get thees wine!"

My only conern with the older Arcadians is bottle variation. I have tasted the same vintage Pisoni's and had mixed results. But when they are on ... they are on. But they do need time. For pure pleasure I love the 01 Sleepy Hollow.

Cheers,

Jason