The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN Pre-Rock Concert Chateau Vieux Fortin 1998 and Domaine Clavel 2002

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN Pre-Rock Concert Chateau Vieux Fortin 1998 and Domaine Clavel 2002

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:28 am

Even at my advancing into middle aged status (43 years old), I still like an occasional rock concert. A coworker and friend wanted to go see Sonic Youth, so he invited me to dinner. Hence the late hour-I'm a little keyed up from the drive and the concert. :oops:

1998 Chateau Vieux Fortin Saint Emillion. Very, very powerful and savoury nose upon opening. Wow. On the palette, This bottle was softer than the one I had in August. Still some nice dark rounded fruit, but, despite the powerful nose, the earth and tobacco I tasted before was less evident here. Still a delicious bottle of wine-but I wonder for how much longer this vintage will hold up??? Has anyone tasted any other vintages of this somewhat obsucre (i.e. not famous) winery?

Domaine Clavel 2002. Wasn't very excited by this one. It did open up a bit as the dinner went on, but overall I didn't find this wine very interesting. Definitely more fruit forward than the Vieux Fortin-my friend's wife preferred this one to the Bordeaux. To me, there's not a lot of "there" there. Maybe this disappointment was because I was tasting it with a Bordeaux? :o
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN Pre-Rock Concert Chateau Vieux Fortin 1998 and Domaine Clavel 2002

by Jenise » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:55 am

Brian, it's very possible that yes, you do just prefer that Bordeaux to the Clavel (and I'm a big Bordeaux fan), but to play devil's advocate for a moment comparing a 98 Bdx to an 02 Languedoc probably isn't a fair fight almost no matter which producers are involved--the 98's developing those warm, complex secondary characteristics while the 02 is just a baby. Even the most basic Clavel needs 5-6 years. before the interesting stuff happens.

But hey, may you be posting notes like this 20 year from now. You're never too old for anything, except kindergarten.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:54 pm

M. Clavel himself says on the bottle "Can age for 20 years" so I should have listened. :) It was only a modest priced bottle, so I may pick up another and cellar it just to see waht happens.

Don't get me wrong-the wine began opening up nicely. But, as I had to drive over the Bay Bridge to San Francisco for the concert, I had to limit myself to what (and how much) I was imbibing-and the Bordeaux won out big time.

I'm new to Bordeaux, and the big, powerful, sock me in the eyes savoury nose was a surprise to me. I wondered at first if the wine was corked or spoiled, but it wasn't at all. I've got another couple of bottles from the same wine shop, so I'll trust the proprietor to steer me right. I also have a '96 Margaux (definitely not top tier!) to try as well.

I live in the county east of Napa, and I do love some Napa wines, but I'm really enjoying the wines that the makers describe as "French Style" be they Californian or actual French. I loved Clos du Val-I totally disagree with Wine Enthusiast last month!!!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:29 pm

Where are the 'tasting' notes for the concert?!? :wink: Was it more Bordeaux or Southern Rhone in style?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:38 am

I was imbibing-and the Bordeaux won out big time.

I'm new to Bordeaux, and the big, powerful, sock me in the eyes savoury nose was a surprise to me

You're doomed. Welcome to the club. :)

Re your "definitely not top tier Margaux", be glad for what some idiots might call lesser wines. Oh sure, they're not 30 year wines, but that often means you get that savouryness, to borrow your word, before you're old and gray even if you must sacrifice some of the profundity of the top growths. We had an 86 D'Issan tonight, also a wine that's definitely not a top tier Margaux. It was far from perfect, but wow was it interesting and still kicking up a storm at 20 years old. We'll never be bored with these wines.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:12 pm

It's definitely a different flavor profile. Some people don't like it at all. I was at Chimney Rock the other day (I'm tasting my way through Napa County on my bicycle :)) and she mentioend Clos Du Val and the French style. The other person at the bar complained that he focused only on California wines and that California has so much better fruit that he saw no reason to drink french wine. Besides, it's not "Freedom Wine" anyway. :lol:

As I said before, the Clos Du Val recommendation was pretty good for moderate priced French-style wine.

I also have a bottle of Chateau Beau-Sejour Becot Grand Cru 1998 from the same wine shop, so I'm hoping it will be good, too.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Brian,
it's not unusual for an 8 yr old Bordeaux to be a little closed (though you reported more happening on nose than palate, which might not fit that guess. I have one bottle of this, plan on waiting a bit more.

I also have the '98 Beasejour Becot, and that ws definitely closed last year. If you open, give it some air first. Nice wine.

Thanks for the notes. It's been many years since I've seen Sonic Youth!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:15 pm

What's amazing is how energetic they were. Thurston Moore is like a deranged teenaged muppet. Kim Gordon is something like 53. To get a little sexist here, she still has amazing legs, as well as amazing vocals. A very professional band who still seem to really, really enjoy what they are doing-after all these years. And, they're not tired of their old songs, either, it was a divese set timewise.

This is a really dumb question, but when you say "closed" I assume that you all mean that the flavors are slightly flat. What was interesting was how different this bottle tasted (and smelled) than my last one. Even though it was ineed a little closed on the palette, I still loved the nose and enjoyed it a lot.

The Beau Sejur-I splurged the other week :oops: and bought an Alessi decanter. I am such a nerd.