The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Esser Vineyards Pinot Noir California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2005 Esser Vineyards Pinot Noir California.

by Bob Ross » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:04 pm

2005 Esser Vineyards California Pinot Noir. 13.5% alcohol. $7.50 a glass; $16.00 a bottle at Endless Vines, Franklin Lakes, NJ. Pretty red color, light hue, lovely floral, strawberry and cherry aromas and tastes, light spice and herbal notes, light oak, mild tannins, good balance, medium mouth feel, medium, interesting finish, a powerful style of pinot noir but with grace notes that keep it out of the Syrah camp.

I see this wine sold elsewhere at $10.00 to $12.00 a bottle, and at that price point, this is a very good QPR wine indeed. Fun to drink. 3*.

Regards, Bob

Notes: I really enjoy banging up insulation -- my coverall suit reminds me of that wonderful scene in "E.T." where the scientists invade the house dressed in their clean suits. My clean suit makes me sweat like the Dickens -- as my gramps used to say, chopping wood [insulating] makes you warm twice. I enjoy computing the pay back period for our investment in the fiber glass, and banging the staples into the studs is very satisfying work. After insulating our new closet with 250 feet of insulation, I was very happy. A glass of this wine was just the thing to cap off a very satisfying day.

K&L notes on the 2004 vintage: This 100% pinot noir was sourced from Monterey and Mendocino counties. Medium-bodied and highly aromatic, this great value owes its broad strawberry and plum fruit to its Monterey provenance, and its spicy, herbal high notes to its relatively small percentage of Mendocino County fruit. Fermentation was completed in stainless steel tanks as was malolactic fermentation. 40% of the Monterey lot was aged in American oak for nine months. Delicious floral aromas give way to lush flavors of strawberry and cherry in this delightful Pinot Noir. Serve with roast duck, rack of lamb, grilled salmon or light pasta dishes.