WTN: '86 Foppiano PS

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: '86 Foppiano PS

Postby John Treder » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:31 am

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago how I had scored a couple of bottles of this wine, and tonight I invited my brother and his wife over for a ravioli dinner to put the wine to good use.

Wow.

Boy, that was good! More like a PN than a PS. Some tannin, some pepper, smooth and fully integrated. Still opaque purple, only slight shading toward garnet. Smooth entry, totally unified all the way through the moutn. Long finish. A little dust around the edge, mainly after a couple of hours, but if you didn't know, you wouldn't guess the age. Magnificent! One of the best bottles (of any wine) I have ever had.

There's another one waiting....
John Treder
Zinaholic

Re: TN: '86 Foppiano PS

Postby James Dietz » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:43 am

Amazing....

I have had some recent vintages that don't measure up to what you drank.. bravo!!
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:25 am

James Dietz wrote:Amazing....

I have had some recent vintages that don't measure up to what you drank.. bravo!!

Have to agree with James. I am a big PS fan but lately Foppiano has not rocked my socks!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby John Treder » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:38 pm

So have I.

One of the advantages of living near a wine area is that you can haunt the tasting rooms, and there are some recent vintages of Foppiano that I haven't bought.

I hadn't thought about cellaring a California PS, but this bottle has made me think about how some of the big, tannic ones might change after a decade or so.

Were I a couple of decades younger, I'd be sorely tempted to an experiment.
John Treder
Zinaholic

Return to The Wine Forum