The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Fielding Estate Gewurztraminer (Niagara Peninsula VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2005 Fielding Estate Gewurztraminer (Niagara Peninsula VQA)

by Paul B. » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:24 pm

12.1% alc. Crystal-clear, pale bright straw colour. Fruity, bright Muscat-like nose with spicy orange and rosewater accents; a very slight hint of grapey lychee aroma, but nowhere near as much as your average Alsatian Gewurz. Excellent, crisp acidity; nearly dry, with great mouthfeel and texture. Pleasantly structured; delicately aromatic. This is much better than most Gewurzes that I've tried from Niagara - many wineries just make neutral whites from the variety that make me wonder what the point is, since I've always thought of Gewurz as ideally a very forwardly aromatic wine. This one, however, is a cut above the rest; it's a really nice table wine and is very enjoyable.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Fielding Estate Gewurztraminer (Niagara Peninsula VQA)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks for the note Paul B...the endless search goes on!!!!! Even Sumac Ridge out of BC has missed the boat the few times I have tasted.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:48 pm

Bob, this is a really good wine, it really is - and its quality runs deeper than the variety it's made from. In my opinion, it's first of all a really good white wine, and secondly, a really good Ontario Gewurz.

That said, I still have to admit that Alsatian Gewurz is what really makes me smile. I just love forcefully aromatic wines, and when I get that blast of rosewater and lychee in a good Alsatian Gewurz, I always hope for the day that I'll find one here in Ontario with the same piercing aromatics. Of course, that may never happen for various reasons - terroir and winemaking being two.

As an aside, I am very interested in what Traminette, the Gewurz hybrid, might be able to do in capable hands and in a good location in Ontario. So far, no wineries are working with it that I've heard. I don't even know if it's VQA-permissible for that matter.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:30 am

Tried a couple of their wines (a Pinot Noir and a Chardonnay, I believe) at last year's Ottawa Wine and Food Show. Was very impressed with both.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:03 am

Hey Bruce, hows zit going!! Have YOU found the ultimate Canadian Gewurtz?!!
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:09 am

Appreciate the TN on the Gewurtz, Paul. An Alsatian Gewurztraminer is one of my favorites as well, so if you thought this Niagara Appellation was pleasing in relation to an Alsace, well, I'm looking forward to trying it! :cool:
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:53 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Hey Bruce, hows zit going!! Have YOU found the ultimate Canadian Gewurtz?!!

Still "on the wagon" Bob. Two weeks today (and they said I wouldn't last!!)