The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Barbaresco - personal reccos?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Barbaresco - personal reccos?

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:25 pm

Given a chance to taste the following producers Barbaresco's, any personal recommendations to try (we're planning to attend the Barbaresco wine festival in mid october).

Gastaldi
Busso, Piero
Ca’del Baio
Negro, Giuseppe
Cantina del Glicine
Cantina del Pino
Ressia
Cascina delle Rose
Varaldo
Castello di Verduno
F.lli Ceretto
F.lli Cigliuti
Cortese, Giuseppe
Moccagatta
Fontanabianca
Poderi Colla
Prunotto
Giordano, Luigi
Lequio, Ugo
F.lli Molino
Montaribaldi
Nada Fiorenzo
Tenute Cisa Asinari dei Marchesi di Gresy
Produttori del Barbaresco
Rabajà di Rocca Bruno
Rocca, Albino
Sottimano
Cascina Morassino
Pelissero
La Spinetta

I've got the Produttori and Varaldo pencilled in, but interested in other recco's. In terms of style, I lean towards old school (i.e. not really looking for barrique influence), but happy to try a few "moderni" to chip away any prejudices I have. Ideally if I stick mostly to the Barbaresco (rather than Barbera/Gavi/Dolcetto etc.) then I should be able to taste a decent cross-section.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: Barbaresco - personal reccos?

by David Lole » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:43 pm

I'm not much of an Italiophile, even less so, Barbaresco, although I did try a great bottle from Gaja (may have been the 1990) a few years back. I do have a couple of cases in my cellar of Produtorri's Reserve 1997 Paje and Pora. Both wines are Excellent to Outstanding in quality showing buckets of savoury fruit, plenty of structure and have another decade of development in front of them. Sorry I can't be of any more help with anything else on your list.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:03 pm

David Lole wrote:I'm not much of an Italiophile, even less so, Barbaresco, although I did try a great bottle from Gaja (may have been the 1990) a few years back. I do have a couple of cases in my cellar of Produttori Reserve 1997 Paje and Pora. Both wines are Excellent to Outstanding in quality showing buckets of savoury fruit, plenty of structure and have another decade of development in front of them. Sorry I can't be of any more help with anything else on your list.

David, have you tried one of your 1997's lately? I opened a 97 Montestefano just last evening. I found all the single vineyards from '96 and '97 on sale locally and opted mostly for the 96's. It is my thinking that the 97 is ready now and will hold for a few more years before starting down. And the 96's are not to be touched for another 5-8 years...very very tight right now. Tight but it's easy to see the stuffing these wines have!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:18 pm

"Barbaresco wine festival" - sound like a great occation, Ian. Is it also taking place in Barbaresco or is it arranged in the UK?

Anyway, while I do not know much about the majority of the producers listed, I do know that if you just want to taste one moderno you should taste the wines of La Spinetta. They are indeed rather modern in style but they are also really high class wines. They also make a Moscato that is not to be missed!

Have fun, and let us read about your experiences.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:"Barbaresco wine festival" - sound like a great occation, Ian. Is it also taking place in Barbaresco or is it arranged in the UK?

Anyway, while I do not know much about the majority of the producers listed, I do know that if you just want to taste one moderno you should taste the wines of La Spinetta. They are indeed rather modern in style but they are also really high class wines. They also make a Moscato that is not to be missed!

Have fun, and let us read about your experiences.
Cheers, Anders

Anders
In Barbaresco itself - we still need to sort out our accomodation though!
There's pictures of the 2004 festival and it looks nice and low key. I did notice some Danes from e-bob were going over, so maybe not as low key as I thought.
Re: La Spinetta Mocato - yes, pretty sure I've had this (bought from a dutch wine shop without registering the name of the producer - we just thought it worth going for the more expensive bottle :oops: ). I've yet to have a poor Moscato D'Asti, but IIRC the La Spinetta had a greater creaminess to the texture (an amazing texture for such a wine, but typical for Moscato D'Asti).

I will try to take notes, but they may be a bit untidy :oops:

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:31 pm

These are my inexpert impressions. I've listed the ones I know from traditonal to most modern. And given ratings from no to 3 stars. But I'm no Barbaresco expert.
Traditional

Poderi Colla ***
Produttori del Barbaresco***
Castello di Verduno
Cortese, Giuseppe*

Middle of road
Marchesi di Gresy
Sottimano *
Ceretto**

Modern
Prunotto**
Moccagatta *
Rocca Bruno
La Spinetta ***
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Dale
Many thanks. I've got reasonable knowledge of who's in which camp in Barolo (thanks to reading Hugh Johnsons pocket book in a few editions), but basically no idea in Barbaresco. My main experience has been with the Produttori, which I like and I'd kind of guessed they were on the traditional side. As I said I'll try and approach with an open mind, however this will be very useful - thanks. Will be interesting
Ian