The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1993 Dom. Henri Gouges Nuits St Georges Cote d'Or France.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1993 Dom. Henri Gouges Nuits St Georges Cote d'Or France.

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 am

1993 Dom. Henri Gouges Nuits St Georges Cote d'Or France. 12.5% alcohol. Imported by Vineyard Brands, Chester Va. Burgundy Wine Company, New York, NY; $36.50. Deep red color, deep hue, very little bricking, excellent aromas and tastes of fruit, spice and earth, light acidity and tannins, all elements in wonderful balance, medium mouth feel, long, lingering finish, exceptional wine lasting over two hours. Enticing and lovely. A poster child for drinking Burgundy wines. 5*.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1993 Dom. Henri Gouges Nuits St Georges Cote d'Or France.

by Jenise » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:09 pm

A poster child for Burgundy, eh? Did you know (I know you're a fan of St. Innocent) that it was a Henri Gouges NsG that was Mark Vlossak's ephiphany wine? I believe it was the Les Prulier specifically, but no matter, it was the HG style that Mark used as a model for his own pinots.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:50 pm

What a thoughtful reply, Jenise. I didn't know that, and I was wondering what wine to have tonight. You made my decision easy.

It will be a great pleasure to see how well Mark Vlossak emulated his ephiphany wine.

Thank you very, very much.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:27 pm

And what a thoughtful reply from you! I'll look forward to your tasting note tomorrow. Btw, after hearing that from Mark (or did I read it on his website?) I did buy a few bottles of the Les Prulier when I ran across them. Haven't tasted one yet as they're so young, but I look forward to the day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm

I had a half-bottle of Gouges N-S-G Les Pruliers at Earle Restaurant in Ann Arbor, MI when I attended Mo'Cool a few years ago. It was very enjoyable (but maybe not quite as high in my estimation as the Robert Chevillon Vaucrains that was an epiphany of sorts for me). I was driving back to my motel so didn't want to over-indulge and left about a medium sized serving of the wine in the bottle. I asked the waitress if perhaps the Sommelier or someone on the staff would want to finish it and she said "He will be delighted!" Definitely a producer I would seek again.