The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dumb Question: Why on a few UNOPENED wines can I smell something?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Dumb Question: Why on a few UNOPENED wines can I smell something?

by Brian K Miller » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:11 pm

I've noticed in a couple of cases during winery visits when I get home, that I can smell wine through an unopened, tin foil sealed cap. Is this bottle doomed? :cry:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: Dumb Question: Why on a few UNOPENED wines can I smell something?

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:49 pm

I think you're just that good, Brian.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:08 am

Sadly, I don't have that good a nose. But, I was worried that the corks are bad or something.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:29 am

I would say a very small percentage of corks (and screwcaps) are indeed faulty at the time they are used to cap the bottle. But you must be very unlucky if you see very many of them. And yes, I would say that a leaker does not have a very long life ahead of it. Tell the winery and get a replacement bottle. They will probably appreciate knowing that there may be something wrong with their bottling line.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:24 am

Since you purchased them at the winery, the wines could have been bottled shortly before you purchased them, so it's conceivable aromas from the bottling could be trapped under the capsule and have not dissapated yet. Try storing the bottle outside of their original case for a week or so.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:47 am

I understand there's quite often spillage from the bottling line (before the labels are put on - hence no staining of labels). I've had many wines where there's been all kinds of subsequent mould etc. on the top of the cork and they've been fine (you might want to wipe the neck clean before pouring though).
On it's own it doesn't necessarily mean a problem, but if there's leakage from the bottles being laid on their side or the levels are suspiciously low, then there is problem.

...and yes, you've probably got an acute sense of smell (you weren't a golden retriever in a previous life were you?).
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:28 pm

It was bottled over a year ago, and the person at the winery suggested I bring it back just in case. It's a drive I can almost do during my lunch hour, so....

(Plus, I love the mountain road between Fairfield and Napa-I love my little Subaru...so it's not a hardship at all to drive over there.) :lol: