The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cab Franc - Merlot ??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Cab Franc - Merlot ??

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:40 pm

I could use a pointer or two here. I'm making a wine from locally grown grapes that will be around 70% Cab Franc and 30% Merlot. This was an excellent vintage for these grapes, as the Brix and acid levels were perfect. I'll be filling a new 26 gallon (100L) Hungarian oak barrel and plan on aging for at least one year, maybe two. I'd like to try a decent Bordeaux that might have a similar composition for something of a benchmark. I searched for Côtes de Castillon, but it seems that most are Merlot dominated. Any suggestion?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Cab Franc - Merlot ??

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Howie, that would be Chateau Cheval Blanc. A great, great wine, but you'll have to pay a pretty price to sample it. :D Still, it shows your instincts are good.

Google this phrase:

70% Cab Franc 30% Merlot

and you'll get a few hits, of which the top appears most promising.
2004 Havens "Bourriquot" Napa Valley Cabernet Franc/Merlot Blend
is selling for $19.99 at K&L Wines in California. They should ship to NY, so this might work for you. Here's a link to the shopping page:
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1048188
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Howie, that would be Chateau Cheval Blanc. A great, great wine, but you'll have to pay a pretty price to sample it. :D Still, it shows your instincts are good...
I kind of knew that. I've spent almost $1,000 for the grapes and the new barrel, and hopefully, I should get over 150 bottles, vs 2 bottles of Chateau Cheval Blanc. :)
EDIT: Robin, I clicked on your link, and the wine is out of stock. :( However, when I did the search you suggested, I found this: http://prime.premiergroup.net/store/detail/?nPID=37008, which is where our friend, Ed Draves works. :)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 am

Howie, the Château LaFleur Saint Georges is 70% Merlot and 30% Cab Franc. That is the opposite of what you want isn't it? I may be wrong, but seem to recall that Chateau de Sales is topheavy with Franc.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 am

According to their website, Chateau de Sales is planted with 70% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Cabernet Franc. I've had a few of these over the years and liked it, but none recently.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 am

Château Figeac has 70% Cabernet (half Franc and half Sauvignon) and 30% Merlot. It is not exactly cheap, either; according to Wine Searcher $80-100 for less fashionable vintages, $150 for 2000 and 2005 and $250 for 2009 which probably needs 15-20 years before drinking :( .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:14 am

As Robin notes, classic Cheval Blanc cepage is roughly 2/3s CF, 1/3 Merlot (though range can be 50/50 to 75/25 depending on vintage). The Havens Bourriquot was intended as a bit of an homage. Clearly Californian, but interesting wine. A couple of years after Michael Havens sold, the new owners went bankrupt, and lots of Havens ended up on market at firesale prices (the Bourriquot typically retailed for mid-$30s, was $18-20). The 2005s and 2006s were still overseen by Michael Havens. You've been very generous with members of this board (including me), so count on a half-bottle by end of week.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Howie,
If looking for a French “benchmark” I think you’re best bet would be to look towards the Loire Valley of France. I'm pretty sure there is a significant planting of Merlot in the Loire Valley. But I’m not sure if Merlot is an “acceptable” “ or “allowed” grape under the Chinon AOC. (I think they allow up to 10% Cab Sauvignon).

You might find the following link interesting. Good luck with the vintage and the new barrel!
http://www.wineanorak.com/projectcabernetfranc.htm

Salute
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:57 am

Dale - I'm looking forward to the arrival. Thanks.
Victor - Thanks for that link. It's very informative.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Bourriquot was the first name that popped in my head when I read your plea, Howie. Good on Dale for getting one to you.

Here's a similar blend apparently available in your area from New York grapes:

http://www.sussexwine.com/sku15778.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=MACARI%20SETTE%20CABERNET%20FRANC%20MERLOT
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Victorwine wrote:Hi Howie,
If looking for a French “benchmark” I think you’re best bet would be to look towards the Loire Valley of France. I'm pretty sure there is a significant planting of Merlot in the Loire Valley. But I’m not sure if Merlot is an “acceptable” “ or “allowed” grape under the Chinon AOC. (I think they allow up to 10% Cab Sauvignon).

You might find the following link interesting. Good luck with the vintage and the new barrel!
http://www.wineanorak.com/projectcabernetfranc.htm

Salute

Victor, I don't know of any Merlot being allowed in the mainstream Loire appellations. However some CabFranc/Merlot blends may exist among the Vins de Pays du Val de Loire or until recently Vins de Pays du Jardin de France.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 pm

If looking for a “local benchmark”, besides Macari’s Sette (50% Cab Franc 50% Merlot) you might want to seek out Wollfer’s Cab Franc 2007 (78% Cab Franc 22% Merlot).
They’re making some good Cab Franc and Cab Franc blended wines Downstate!

Salute
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:06 pm

I may get an assortment of these recommended wines and when mine has been bottled, have a tasting, similar to the one I did a few months ago for the Lemberger. Perhaps I could bring a barrel sample to the NYC Jeebus in April.