The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Good Friends, Great Dinner, and Red Wine (Very Brief WTN)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Good Friends, Great Dinner, and Red Wine (Very Brief WTN)

by Brian K Miller » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:30 am

Had a very nice dinner with friends tonight, and we brought some nice red wines. Major mistake of the evening was openiong a very heavy tannic monster FIRST. The wines were nonetheless delicous. O had amazing charlbroiled New York Strip in a delicious red wine sacuce with potatos au gratin. Others had grilled lamb, risotto, and pasta with veggies/ What a great dinner! I like Alexander Valley wines, and tonight confirmed it.

2004 Scholium Project Babylon. A strange little "cult" winery that is a one man show. Sold out. Petit Sirah grown in my county of residence. Absolutely awesome, tannic monster. Nose almost port-like, with caramel, raisins, tannins. Flavors were dark, rich, not as port-like, but very intense and very tannic. Back Room Wines did "warn me" that this was a tannic monster, but yum, what a wine. I think it's sold out even at the quit ehigh price :?:

Chateau Souvereign Cab Sauvignon 2002. What an amazing bargain wine!!!! Classic Alexander Valley character, with tons of leather and some fruit. Great varietal character-not too sweet and jammy. I love th dryness and structure of Alexander Valley Cabs! Delicious for the price ($16!)

1995 Sausal Cabernet Sauvignon. Another Alexander Valley cab, and what a beauty. I tried this one on a bicycle tour.

Very dry, herby, tobaccoey leathery and delicious. This one took some time to open up-I was disappointed at first, but after 15 minutes it just blossomed! Is it worth it from a QPR? Not sure, but boy it was enjoyable!

Also had a Mara Napa Zinfandel with desert. Not sure I liked this one. I have very mixed opinions about Zinfandel. My friend, who graciously provided the bottle, loves this kind of sweet, rich, caramely Zin. And, there are darker fruit Zins that I can enjoy. This one just didn't fit my personal taste profile. I will trade him my one bottle in stock for a bottle or two of the Chateau Souveraign!

An enjoyable evening, great food, and overall delicious wines! can't beat that!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach