The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus November: Bubbles of the World!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Wine Focus November: Bubbles of the World!

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Part of a major Champagne tasting in my own tasting room this morning and consumed before tonight's dinner with foie gras canapaes. The tasting was in honor of upcoming columns for Sylvester/New Year's Eve celebrations. I will post all of my tasting notes but can do so only after the columns are published in my newspaper.

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin, Brut Rose Champagne, n.v.: Blushing peach in color, with a floral and berry nose, opening in the glass to reveal summer fruits, wild berries and notes of watermelon. Light but generous and vibrant, with a long mousse and sharp bubbles that last and last, all leading to a long, pear and mineral-rich finish. Drink now-2014. Score 91. (Re-tasted 19 Nov 2010)

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin, Brut Rose, 2004, Champagne: The color of blushing pink peaches, a round and light- to medium-bodied Champagne opening to reveal strawberry, citrus and cherry fruits. Fine, concentrated bubbles and a light yeasty overtone add charm to a delightful wine. Drink now-2014. Score 91. (Re-tasted 19 Nov 2010)

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:13 am

I was hoping for more from the 1996 Chidaine Montlouis sur Loire Almendra Brut because I've heard lots of good things about this from folks who know what they are talking about/drinking. Alas our bottle was not very interesting. There was a fine fizz quality that was appealing but the fruit was hollow/metallic and never really grabbed me. Especially for the 'premium' extended lees-aging Montlouis price. (Approx $40 - would have been a lot more forgiving if it was a basic $15 petillant). Surely other bottles are better?
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm

NV Cedric Bouchard / Roses de Jeanne Champagne Blanc de Noirs Les Ursules
July 2010 disgorgement. Incredibly pure and precise; full of fresh red fruits and pears and yeasty accents around a core of steely minerality and fantastic acidity, very light on its feet with a sense of tremendous clarity and focus, though it also feels very young and primary and gives the sense it's holding a lot in reserve.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 am

Marc Hebrart Brut Premier Cru
A sketchy little note given that I'm not tasting that well yet - this is very frothy, one of the most intense mousses I have come across. It shows lots of apple & yeast , and is really much too young. Laura said it was very grapey on the nose, which I can buy, though didn't pick that up. 2009 disgorgement, and needs a year or so in the cellar to intergrate more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 pm

A tasty little number that showed up in my cellar from I-don't-know-where was the 2002 Marguet from Champagne I took to someone's house last Friday night to go with fresh Maine lobsters. Negociant-produced, it had a lovely yellow hue. The bubble was small and persistent, but there was very little mousse. On the nose raw bread dough, red apple, almonds and meyer lemon. On the rich side with good body, and though I don't think it's a blanc de blanc I would not be surprised to find out that it contained a higher than average amount of chardonnay. Overall a very classy presentation, and drinking very well now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:29 pm

NV Gloria Ferrer Caves and Vineyards Sonoma Brut Sonoma County
Mostly Pinot Noir, with a bit of Chardonnay. Lot code on bottle: 20602810. Light to medium-bodied, fruity/lightly creamy, dry, with good acidity; rather basic aromatically, with apple pie/pear/lightly bready notes. Good+/good QPR sparkler. I like the Roederer Estate Brut more as far as Cali sparklers go, but this will do for a few dollars less.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:05 pm

I did drink a few bottles of bubbly this month, but they were my home made and I generally don't post about my wines. One is a pink 2008 100% Pinot Noir made from Niagara County, NY grapes ("Rosé the Riveter" see my post about naming my wine). The other is golden 2006 100% Chardonnay made from juice obtained in Niagara-On-The-Lake Ont. They were very different and I enjoyed both. I also have some 2008 Sparkling Cayuga in the riddling rack and will be bottling a batch of 2010 Cayuga in the near future.
Edit: I plan on sharing these with many of my WLDG friends in the future. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Previous