Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:04 pm

What are we drinking this weekend? A few weeks ago it was suggested we look at Rioja, specifically Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial, from Otto's thread. Does anyone have suggestions? Is this weekend taken and the memo isn't out? Is Bob Parsons in charge or do we stage a Thai coup and take over the palace for the weekend? I am not invested in any specific idea, I just thought I'd get the ball rolling as it's Thursday afternoon.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:07 pm

I was thinking of a Teroldego Open Mike. But I didn't know it was only weekends, lol!! I was going to go ahead and post maybe on Sat when I (possibly) will buy my bottle. Why not go ahead and open mike-away and we lemmings will follow! ;)

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:08 pm

I want to be a lemming. I'm much more comfortable in that position.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I want to be a lemming. I'm much more comfortable in that position.


Erm? ok? So what are we doing? Teroldego? What if I want to be a lemming too?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I was thinking of a Teroldego Open Mike. But I didn't know it was only weekends, lol!! I was going to go ahead and post maybe on Sat when I (possibly) will buy my bottle. Why not go ahead and open mike-away and we lemmings will follow! ;)


For the record, Open Mike is sort of a "let's talk at midweek about what we'll drink on the weekend" thing, but like most of our projects, the rules are loose and flexible. :)

Remember also that there's no use waiting for the moderators: In Open Mike, the self-starters win! Call out a wine, and see if anybody listens. (Teroldego could be problematical for many, just because it's not common. But hey ... )

It's also possible to have more than one Open Mike going on at a time - no rule against it - although it does get a little confusing when that happens.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16970
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:38 pm

What Robin is saying is there are essentially no rules to open mike. This so typical! :D You know me Robin. I'm way too consevative for that :oops: . So is Bob P. going to step in and save me and Otto from being overly gracious?
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:50 pm

James Roscoe wrote:What Robin is saying is there are essentially no rules to open mike. This so typical! :D You know me Robin. I'm way too consevative for that :oops: . So is Bob P. going to step in and save me and Otto from being overly gracious?


I've never been overly gracious. So ... Teroldego anyone? That's what I'll be drinking anyway. Bob and I talked of Cotes du Rhone also and Rioja but we didn't, I think, come to any firm decision. Would all three be a good diplomatic decision? The only problem is that I'm not having quite a social enough weekend to open that many bottles (esp. as I'm need of a Riesling or a Muscadet also).
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:57 pm

What is Teroldego? I'm game, but I need to know what to look for and if it will pair with what we are eating.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:03 pm

James Roscoe wrote:What is Teroldego? I'm game, but I need to know what to look for and if it will pair with what we are eating.


A nice North Italian (Trentino-Alto-Adige) grape variety. There should be dozens available from anyone who imports N Italian stuff. Savoury yet fruity. Yum! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:26 pm

Counoise!
User avatar
Dave Erickson
Wine guru
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:35 pm

I don`t know why you girls think I am in charge!!!!!! I just put around rumours, woops sorry ideas and set things agoing. I am happy to do Teroldego this week followed by Rioja next. Mind you why not Rioja next month on Wine Focus?? There`s an idea eh. Hello Robin, clink clink!!

So someone go ahead and pronounce !!
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9496
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:23 pm

Bob,
Otto and I are really just a couple of lemmings ready to follow you off the cliff. You are much better at this stuff than I am. Go ahead and set up the Teroldego for this weekend. Maybe Robin can set up Rioja for next month on Wine focus or at least get it in the rotation. Can anyone tell me what Teroldego is I still need to know. (Guess I'm of to google.)
Cheers!
James
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Jenise » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:38 pm

James, Otto, Bob,

The beauty of Open Mike is 1) no person-in-charge, 2) no schedule, and 3) no rules. Anyone who wants to can announce a plan to drink something and invite others into their pool. Again--no rules--but we envisioned it as a more intimate and target-driven version of Wine Focus wherein instead you can arrange to compare notes on like wines. By 'like' I mean, say, 1998 Grand Puy Lacoste or something more general like Rasteau or 2001 CdPs or Breton Cab Francs. Topics not broad enough or wines not widely owned enough to be a Focus topic.

So weekend schmeekend, makes no difference. It's just that some people only open wine then, so a lot of the Mike challenges have been weekenders.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26198
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 pm

Jenise wrote:James, Otto, Bob,

The beauty of Open Mike is 1) no person-in-charge, 2) no schedule, and 3) no rules. Anyone who wants to can announce a plan to drink something and invite others into their pool. Again--no rules--but we envisioned it as a more intimate and target-driven version of Wine Focus wherein instead you can arrange to compare notes on like wines. By 'like' I mean, say, 1998 Grand Puy Lacoste or something more general like Rasteau or 2001 CdPs or Breton Cab Francs. Topics not broad enough or wines not widely owned enough to be a Focus topic.

So weekend schmeekend, makes no difference. It's just that some people only open wine then, so a lot of the Mike challenges have been weekenders.


This is just way too scary a concept for me. Are you talking about actual "freedom" here? What will you think of next?
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Jenise » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:05 am

That's right, freedom. Grownup freedom. I'm sure with some effort you'll get used to it. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26198
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Jenise wrote:That's right, freedom. Grownup freedom. I'm sure with some effort you'll get used to it. :)


There is a reason some men never grow up.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Jenise » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:13 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Jenise wrote:That's right, freedom. Grownup freedom. I'm sure with some effort you'll get used to it. :)


There is a reason some men never grow up.


In other words, you're going to go out kicking and screaming. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26198
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:26 pm

Jenise wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:
Jenise wrote:That's right, freedom. Grownup freedom. I'm sure with some effort you'll get used to it. :)


There is a reason some men never grow up.


In other words, you're going to go out kicking and screaming. :)


I never said I was one of them. Of course I never said I wasn't. I leave that judgment to others. I do a lot of kicking and screaming at any rate.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby Brian A » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Well, right now, I'm sipping on some Maker's Mark on the rocks. I think I'm going to drink this little bottle of Ernest & Julio Gallo merlot a little later. I just put some strawberry wine in the fridge that we bought at Horton Vineyards in Virginia. That's some good stuff I tell ya :P . Mmm, mmm :D .
Brian A
Cellar rat
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby JoePerry » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:00 pm

I call an open mic on sherry!

Woop-Woop!
User avatar
JoePerry
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Boston

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:09 pm

Brian A wrote:Well, right now, I'm sipping on some Maker's Mark on the rocks. I think I'm going to drink this little bottle of Ernest & Julio Gallo merlot a little later. I just put some strawberry wine in the fridge that we bought at Horton Vineyards in Virginia. That's some good stuff I tell ya :P . Mmm, mmm :D .


What did you think of Horton? It's a fun place if nothing else.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:11 pm

JoePerry wrote:I call an open mic on sherry!

Woop-Woop!


Go for it. Although I'm not sure what people see in sherry. It's a little over the top for me. Now port is a different story.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby JoePerry » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:26 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
JoePerry wrote:I call an open mic on sherry!

Woop-Woop!


Go for it. Although I'm not sure what people see in sherry. It's a little over the top for me. Now port is a different story.


Sherry is the evolution of the wine geek!

Best,
Joe

BTW, the ghost of Bartolo is gonna beat you down.
User avatar
JoePerry
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:07 am
Location: Boston

Re: Open Mike: What's Up for This Weekend? (9/23)

Postby James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:32 pm

JoePerry wrote:Sherry is the evolution of the wine geek!

Best,
Joe

BTW, the ghost of Bartolo is gonna beat you down.


Are you implying I have not yet fully evolved?
(Most likely an accurate statement.)

(As long as Bartolo brings some nice aged Barolo, he can do whatever. I have no fear of Italian politicians.)
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Next

Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Oliver McCrum and 9 guests