Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Paul B. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:15 am

Traditionally, I have tended to pass the whole Beaujolais Nouveau thing right by every fall. Edged on by the notion of it not being very good wine - or, perhaps, not "serious" wine, whatever that means - I just elected to forego all the hoopla.

But not this year.

I have really taken a sincere interest in the glee and that appears to come from this delightfully French phenomenon, and am going to make a point of buying a few bottles - of real Beaujolais Nouveau, and of some of our local spinoffs from Niagara.

Anyone else planning to do likewise? :o
Hybrid Wines Online:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
User avatar
Paul B.
Hybrid Guru
 
Posts: 2020
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:25 am

Sure, Paul B....we can do an Open Mike! Maybe even get those party frolicers on the Chat to taste as they talk about the usual non-events in life.
User avatar
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris
 
Posts: 9404
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Paul B. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:35 am

An open mike sounds like fun. Now we just have to brush up on our French ... :lol:

Actually, I wonder if the BN phenomenon is most popular in the Beaujolais region itself, or whether it carries over in to Paris as well?
Hybrid Wines Online:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
User avatar
Paul B.
Hybrid Guru
 
Posts: 2020
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Howie Hart » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:53 am

I do it every year, just for kicks. A couple of times, many years ago, I made Leon Milot Nouveau and Foch Nouveau. Contrary to popular opinion, a well made Beaulolais Nouveau can age gracefully. Here's a link from a few years ago:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 82482.html
Here's another interesting link:
http://www.intowine.com/beaujolaisnouveaufacts.html
User avatar
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo
 
Posts: 5867
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Paul B. wrote:Actually, I wonder if the BN phenomenon is most popular in the Beaujolais region itself, or whether it carries over in to Paris as well?


None of the above, really. It started as a Paris event in the '70s, but on a much smaller scale, then got picked up in the US. Nowadays it's mostly American, I believe, with apparently a little spillover into Canada. I don't think it's ever been anything but business in Beaujolais, and it's certainly not a rustic folk tradition.

That being said, I generally taste a Nouveau or two every November, partly just because Wine Advisor readers seem to expect it, and I try to stay in the spirit of the thing, which is to celebrate the onset of winter with one last taste of the summer just past, and not a serious wine-geek activity.

Personally, I generally bypass the grapey Duboeuf bottlings and don't even <i>think</i> about the New World spinoffs. But if I can find a decent quaff from one of the less mass-market producers, I'm happy to swill a glass or two.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16659
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Tyler Brebbermann » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:39 pm

There is also a modest BN following in Germany. We usually sold about 4 cases at the (rather small) restaurant I worked at during the week it came out. I don't know about the rest of Europe, but it would be interesting to hear.

Tyler
Tyler Brebbermann
Wine geek
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:19 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:58 pm

Regardless of GDs marketing of Beaujolais Nouveau, the reason behind the hype (or lack there of) is the very real, very important celebration of the new harvest. Most countries around Europe have a version of this, and New wine isn't confined only to Beaujolais. I've had some interesting italian "Nouveau", and If I'm in Germany for the harvest, chances are that I'm drinking way too much Federweisse at some small, local wine festival. I don't buy a lot, and I choose wisely, but you can count on a bottle or two being consumed at the Hooper house this year if only to celebrate the fruit of another years labor.

Prost!
-Bill

Hey, 100 posts!
Bill Hooper
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:46 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby James Roscoe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:39 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Hey, 100 posts!


Congratulations!
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:None of the above, really. It started as a Paris event in the '70s, but on a much smaller scale, then got picked up in the US. Nowadays it's mostly American, I believe, with apparently a little spillover into Canada. I don't think it's ever been anything but business in Beaujolais, and it's certainly not a rustic folk tradition.


I always thought it started as a London thing. Be the first in your club to bring wine from the new vintage, and all that. But it might have been Paris. Certainly not Beaujolais itself, where all you have to do is to go next door to get the first taste of Nouveau (Bleah! Wait instead a few months more for the real stuff!).

The Beaujolais, of course, cheer the "tradition" on as much as they can--it's a great way to get rid of their worst crap wine at inflated prices.

-Paul W. (not a sucker or rube for BN)
User avatar
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:19 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I always thought it started as a London thing. Be the first in your club to bring wine from the new vintage, and all that. But it might have been Paris.


Definitely Paris. They'd cut the ribbons to open the event at midnight, and the trucks would race north, trying to get their cargo to the city first, and revelers would stay up long into the night to greet it. Not because it was great wine. Because it was a hell of an excuse for a party.

In those pre-Chunnel days, racing trucks to London wasn't easy to do ... and those stuffy Brits weren't much for all-nighters on work days. :)

The Beaujolais, of course, cheer the "tradition" on as much as they can--it's a great way to get rid of their worst crap wine at inflated prices.


Well, that's a little overly confrontative and not really well rooted in reality. BN by nature is made as fast as wine can possibly be made, and it shows. But most of the producers have <i>some</i> pride. Yes, it's great for cash flow. But it's really the American market that's turned it from an autumn party into something more commercial and frankly less enjoyable.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16659
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:But it's really the American market that's turned it from an autumn party into something more commercial and frankly less enjoyable.

Are you saying that living people someplace else have more fun than I do? :?
User avatar
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo
 
Posts: 5867
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:35 am

Howie Hart wrote:Are you saying that living people someplace else have more fun than I do? :?


Darn few of 'em do, Howie! :)
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16659
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:15 pm

What I hear is that DuBoeuf has eased off on the Nouveau hype, because people (well, Americans...) were beginning to act as though Nouveau was the only wine made in Beaujolais. Which is a slander against Beaujolais. The best thing I can say about the Nouveau is that it sometimes gives an indication of what the vintage will be like. I remember many '05s were unusually dark and substantial, and as the new cru Beaujolais have started coming in, it looks like it was a very good vintage indeed, on a par with '03.

As for the claim that Nouveau ages...you'll have to forgive my deep skepticism, Howie. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it is highly unlikely bordering on miraculous. Then again, this is the Age of Miracles. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, we've had some Morgons--single-vineyard old-vine '03s--that look like they'll last for years.
User avatar
Dave Erickson
Wine guru
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm not sure I get the entire fascination with beajolais nouveau or traditional beajolais. It is all rather pedestrian to my tastes. I guess the gamay grape will never do it for me. I am willing for someone to prove me wrong.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:28 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I'm not sure I get the entire fascination with beajolais nouveau or traditional beajolais. It is all rather pedestrian to my tastes. I guess the gamay grape will never do it for me. I am willing for someone to prove me wrong.


Aaaaargh!!!! :twisted: Gamay rocks! Bojo rocks! Try some Cru with a couple years age on it. Drouhin does some nice ones. Also Jadot's St-Jacques rocks.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I'm not sure I get the entire fascination with beajolais nouveau or traditional beajolais. It is all rather pedestrian to my tastes. I guess the gamay grape will never do it for me. I am willing for someone to prove me wrong.


Aaaaargh!!!! :twisted: Gamay rocks! Bojo rocks! Try some Cru with a couple years age on it. Drouhin does some nice ones. Also Jadot's St-Jacques rocks.


I had a '96 Moulin-Vent back on the open-mike weekend we did that wine and I liked it all right, but it wasn't an ah-ha moment or anything. It was good, not great.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:46 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I had a '96 Moulin-Vent back on the open-mike weekend we did that wine and I liked it all right, but it wasn't an ah-ha moment or anything. It was good, not great.


You must be a lost cause then ;) But that's ok. No one's is forcing you to like stuff you don't like. (Except if the case is Musar.... :P )
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
User avatar
Otto
Musaroholic
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:56 pm

double post. Please excuse.
Last edited by Dave Erickson on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dave Erickson
Wine guru
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this

Postby James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:59 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I had a '96 Moulin-Vent back on the open-mike weekend we did that wine and I liked it all right, but it wasn't an ah-ha moment or anything. It was good, not great.


You must be a lost cause then ;) But that's ok. No one's is forcing you to like stuff you don't like. (Except if the case is Musar.... :P )


You are welcome to pour me as many great bojos as you can when you come over to research your paper.
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:As for the claim that Nouveau ages...you'll have to forgive my deep skepticism, Howie. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it is highly unlikely bordering on miraculous. Then again, this is the Age of Miracles. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, we've had some Morgons--single-vineyard old-vine '03s--that look like they'll last for years.


I don't know if you read my link, but apparently the Michel Picard is a different animal and I was quite surprised. Good stuff even 2 years old. I wouldn't expect that from other makers. Here's another link:
Scroll down to Michel Picard
User avatar
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo
 
Posts: 5867
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Dave Erickson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:59 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:As for the claim that Nouveau ages...you'll have to forgive my deep skepticism, Howie. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it is highly unlikely bordering on miraculous. Then again, this is the Age of Miracles. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, we've had some Morgons--single-vineyard old-vine '03s--that look like they'll last for years.


I don't know if you read my link, but apparently the Michel Picard is a different animal and I was quite surprised. Good stuff even 2 years old. I wouldn't expect that from other makers. Here's another link:
Scroll down to Michel Picard


Ah--two years isn't "ageing." :D
User avatar
Dave Erickson
Wine guru
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Howard » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:00 am

Probably not. I've had some beaujolais that I've liked very much but it's not been the nouveau. But I'm open to suggestions.
Howard
Howard
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Bob Ross » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:30 am

Robin, a few questions/comments:

I believe the tradition began in Beaujolais and Lyon in the late 19th century. In 1938, regulations were put in place to restrict early sale.

In 1951, these regulations were revoked by the UIVB; Beaujolais Nouveau was officially recognized, released on November 15, later in 1985 on the third Thursday of November to make it a weekend event.

I'm sure you are right that Paris was the first big city to make it a big deal, but there were predecessors.

I've read that currently 60% of Beaujolais is sold in this form; can it really be primarily a US phenomenum?
User avatar
Bob Ross
Wine guru
 
Posts: 5862
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Postby Robin Garr » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:53 am

Bob Ross wrote:I believe the tradition began in Beaujolais and Lyon in the late 19th century. In 1938, regulations were put in place to restrict early sale.

In 1951, these regulations were revoked by the UIVB; Beaujolais Nouveau was officially recognized, released on November 15, later in 1985 on the third Thursday of November to make it a weekend event.


Bob, since I wasn't there to see it done, I can't comment, but as a practical matter, I think it turned from a strictly local and relatively unknown event to a bigger deal only in the postwar (WWII) era, and extended to the US only in the '80s. Your information doesn't seem to me to counter that.

I've read that currently 60% of Beaujolais is sold in this form; can it really be primarily a US phenomenum?


Intuitively, that number sounds high to me, although if you compare production between Duboeuf and Brun, it wouldn't really be surprising to learn that a large segment of production is in Nouveau. And no, I don't think the phenomenon is unique to the US - the Brits partake, and I expect other European countries sip a little. But I have no reason to doubt that the US drives the economic bus.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16659
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Next

Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests