The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Miscellaneous July notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

WTN: Miscellaneous July notes

by David from Switzerland » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:18 am

Tenuta Campo di Sasso (Marchese Lodovico Antinori) Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc Mount Nelson 2009
Thanks to my parents, who brought this home from Bolgheri, where this was sold to them by the shop that hitherto supplied Ornellaia’s Poggio alle Gazze. Medium-light strawy-minty colour. Relatively brightly if straightforwardly minty-grapefruity gooseberry and green apple, with perhaps a hint at guava, barely medium body, acidity and length. Rating: 83+/-?

Maximin Grünhaus Riesling Spätlese Herrenberg 2006
Tasted in passing at a local wine shop, when the wine merchant offered to open a bottle. A slightly closed and bland medium-weight for Grünhaus. Not too sweet. Quite good, lightly flinty minerality but little subtlety. Medium acidity and length. Rating: 84(-?)

Casa al Vento (Cristina & Kurt Haller) Vino da Tavola Tosco 2007
Thanks to my parents. Medium-full purple-ruby-red. The best Tosco (a Chianti in all but name/declaration) Cristina and Kurt Haller have made so far, Andreas Stössel apparently believes. We are not sure we prefer it to the 2006, but it is certainly a deep, almost opaque purple-ruby Chianti (in all but name), with almost chewing gum like sweetness to the (wholly inartificial) fruit. “Less backbone, less differentiated” than the Monteraponi, as my mother noted. Rating: 86+?

Azienda Agricola Monteraponi Chianti Classico 2007
Thanks to my parents. One of the most noteworthy, more traditional-styled, serious, structured and firm Chiantis I have tasted in a long time. Full ruby-red, soft black hue. Lightly walnutty-evolved, if not at all in a negative way, just old-style (and quite possibly the vintage – curious to sample others). Quite complex, lovely fruit. Soft Chianti metal and especially mineral underpinning. Firm tannin, nice acidity. Good body and length. Rating: 88(+?)

Moric Blaufränkisch 2007
Tasted in passing at a local wine shop, when the wine merchant offered to open a bottle. Pretty, medium-light ripe raspberry and other berries wrapped around a little lightly nutty-oaky tannin, all in all nicely balanced, a bit simple and straightforward, but tasty. Rating: 86

Fiorenzo Nada Barbaresco Rombone 1997
Identical to the bottle last month, glad to report this has entered a plateau of maturity that makes it impossible to keep one’s paws off. Youthful emphasis on freshness of fruit and nicely lively acidity for the vintage, complex and nicely firm wine, perfect with food yet gripping enough to have on its own, too. Quite long on finish. Rating: 93(-?)

Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne 2004
Thanks to Remo, from a 24 hours open bottle from the fridge, tasted at the pool hall. Thought this fractionally thicker or fatter with “fruit” (still not a fruity wine in the modern sense) than the last two samples of this wine, exhibiting greater density and more tannin, quite complex and not too oak-induced at all, a promising wine. Fairly, if not entirely resistant to oxidation in the open bottle. Rating: 92+/93(+?)

Schäfer-Fröhlich Riesling Trocken Bockenauer Felseneck 2008
Quite modern interpretation of a Trocken, some peachy herbs and hay, noticeable “sweet” 13% alcohol, quite bubbly with CO2, relatively smooth for the vintage, medium length on the finish, warming with alcohol. Rating: 86+?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Miscellaneous July notes

by ChaimShraga » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:22 pm

David from Switzerland wrote:Moric Blaufränkisch 2007
Tasted in passing at a local wine shop, when the wine merchant offered to open a bottle. Pretty, medium-light ripe raspberry and other berries wrapped around a little lightly nutty-oaky tannin, all in all nicely balanced, a bit simple and straightforward, but tasty. Rating: 86

Just had this last night and four years after your note, it was quite a surprise and a treat. Probably a 91, if I were to score.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

by David from Switzerland » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:39 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:
David from Switzerland wrote:Moric Blaufränkisch 2007

Just had this last night and four years after your note, it was quite a surprise and a treat. Probably a 91, if I were to score.

Glad to hear! Suddenly reminded I haven't typed wine notes in a while.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Hello David!! Glad to see you are still around!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm

DAVID!!!!!!

Good to see you; hope all's well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Welcom back David! :D
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

by David from Switzerland » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Completely missed these replies… So how is everyone? Wondering sometimes if I should type all those notes, seems like years have gone by - still anyone around who'd care to read them? :oops:

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:41 pm

David!!!!

Welcome back!!

I know I would love to read your notes. We've missed you. Hope you are well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:16 am

Well, you are my friend, but that is not the reason I will say what I say now: there is nobody whose palate I trust more than yours.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L