The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SWR - Adventures on the Wine Route - sheesh - I'm depressed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

SWR - Adventures on the Wine Route - sheesh - I'm depressed

by John Tomasso » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:40 am

Somehow or another, I've never picked up this book until now, despite seeing it recommended here many times.

I loved the book - absolutely loved Kermit Lynch's writing, and the anecdotes he shared. But I have to say I came away a bit depressed by his assessment of the French wine scene at the time he wrote the book. He described disappearing vineyards, cultural shifts, and changes in technology that have had a detrimental effect on the wines he loved, and described so beautifully.

What I am wondering is this....given that the book was written quite a long time ago, have things shifted back? Are any producers sticking with, or returning to, the old ways of making wine which the author described?

I see that KL still sells wine, so unless his thinking has changed, is he still finding the gems described in the book? I'd like to buy some wine from him, just to see how things have changed, or remained the same.

Thoughts?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: SWR - Adventures on the Wine Route - sheesh - I'm depressed

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:35 am

John, one of the fundamental inconsistencies in Lynch's wonderful book is that he celebrates the old ways of doing things but insisted and still insists that his producers change many of their wine making techniques. He's very clear about his approach in the book, and it's worth remembering how young in wine he was when he wrote the book and formed such strong opinions.

I can't answer your basic questions, but I have loved many of the wines he has imported.

And the book is well worth reading from time to time -- just for pleasure.

Regards, Bob