The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Screwcaps, Riesling, Dry, Australia - Beautiful !!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

Screwcaps, Riesling, Dry, Australia - Beautiful !!

by AaronW » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:18 am

Had a tremendous experience recently,
Opened a bottle of "04 Wolff Blass Riesling" from the Adelaide Region that was screwcapped and was absolutely spellbound! :D Typically, it seems, new world Riesling is off dry and has a honeycomb essence as an aroma and flavor that I'm not personally keen to in a wine that's supposed to have a high level of acidity :x . I had read recently in - I think it was "Food & Wine" mag.- that Austrailian Rieslings were being produced "dry" and giving France a run for their money, so, naturally, I had to give it a try. Pay dirt baby!! 8) Excellent balance of acidity and fruit minus the unwanted "honeycomb" business - (YUK), and dry -- much like something from Alsace - very impressive!! So if anyone has any WTN's from France, and others from anywhere else in the New World producing dry rieslings, to compare, would be awesome. TTFN :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Screwcaps, Riesling, Dry, Australia - Beautiful !!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:41 am

I have over the years cellared a few Rieslings from WB, different appellations. Some have aged nicely whilst others have taken a quick downturn for the worst!
Not all Australian Rieslings are dry (here we go again) and a few have shown some residual sugar, even late-harvest characteristics! Not sure how these wines can give France a run for the money though. There are so many different styles of white wine being produced there, whats their point? Try some of the Rieslings from Alsace and it`s a whole new world for you Aaron!!
Might be a good idea to do a search here, there have been many riesling tasting notes posted. Many varied styles from quite a few countries!

Enjoy the Riesling experience!!

**** Robin, I think this thread should be moved to the main forum??
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:46 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have over the years cellared a few Rieslings from WB, different appellations. Some have aged nicely whilst others have taken a quick downturn for the worst!
Not all Australian Rieslings are dry (here we go again) and a few have shown some residual sugar, even late-harvest characteristics! Not sure how these wines can give France a run for the money though. There are so many different styles of white wine being produced there, whats their point? Try some of the Rieslings from Alsace and it`s a whole new world for you Aaron!!
Might be a good idea to do a search here, there have been many riesling tasting notes posted. Many varied styles from quite a few countries!

Thanx for the suggestions Bob.

Oh, what is "WB"? :oops:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:08 am

Wolf Blass.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:12 am

AaronW. wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I have over the years cellared a few Rieslings from WB, different appellations. Some have aged nicely whilst others have taken a quick downturn for the worst!

Thanx for the suggestions Bob.

Oh, what is "WB"? :oops:

You are right Bob, mess up on my part, sorry. Robin you should move this. My Bad. :oops: