The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cheap stuff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Cheap stuff

by Saina » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:38 pm

Bodegas Baigorri Rioja Maceración Carbónica 2002 c.10€ 14%

Deep purple. The scent is fresh and fruity with hints of cassis, herbs, lead - simple, but very refreshing, but not Tempranilloy. The palate is also very fruit forward, with adequate levels of acidity and herbs balancing the fruit, but the alcohol does come out a little bit. Surprisingly long. And going on surprisingly strongly though when I tasted it a couple years back I thought it should be drunk immediately. Now it is truly cracking up, so drink up.

Pewsey Vale Riesling Individual Vineyard Selection 2004 13% c.12€

This has very typical young riesling aromas of lime, acacia and melon. The taste had lovely fruit, high acidity, saline minerality and a long aftertaste. I've always thought this wine punches above its weight. An excellent little wine.

Domaine de Roquemale Coteaux du Languedoc 2001 14,5% 14€

Sweet. Dessert wine -like. Way too much alcohol. Spoofulated. Confected. Yuck.

Cave de Tain L'Hermitage Crozes-Hermitage les Nobles Rives 2003 ?% c.10€

Rather simple and primary scent, yet recognisable as Syrah. Juicy yet structured palate - very simple, but at least it had adequate acidity for the year. I loved the 2001 and thought it one of the greatest cheap wines available here. I was devastated to see it had run out and had been replaced by this which I doubt I'll bother buying again.

Mezza Corona Teroldego Rotaliano Riserva 2001 12,5% 10€

Juicy scent with a touch of herbs. The palate likewise was rather juicy but with nice tangy acidity and a delicious bitterness. Fine considering the price but just a tad pedestrian.

Elena Walch Lagrein Alto Adige - Südtirol 2004

The scent was very pleasant but rather simple: red berries, vegetation, liquorice. The palate was also pleasant and more nuanced than the scent with great fruit concentration, relatively high acid, herbaceous. Surprising length. Year to year, this is one the best cheap wines available in Finland. Unfortunately it's sold so badly that we won't see it anymore.

Couly-Dutheil Chinon La Baronnie Madeleine 2001 12,5% c.13€

Yummy and Chinony. But needs quite a bit of air to show well. By far the best cheap wine available here.

-O- (reminding everyone that due to the monopoly here, everything under 20€ is in the realm of "cheap crap"TM)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Cheap stuff

by Ian Sutton » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Pewsey Vale Riesling Individual Vineyard Selection 2004 13% c.12€

This has very typical young riesling aromas of lime, acacia and melon. The taste had lovely fruit, high acidity, saline minerality and a long aftertaste. I've always thought this wine punches above its weight. An excellent little wine.

Otto
Indeed a very handy wine. We've recently picked up a couple of the 1999 "contours" museum release version of this wine (AFAIK it's essentially the same wine held back, rather than any additional selection). Always the option to drink this young or wait 5-10 years which it wears well.
Strong value for the variety / region, even above the normal good value.

Having seen your note on the 76 Beerenauslese, what's your preference re: dry vs. sweet riesling? Happy to enjoy a range of styles, or one style that you favour over the others? Personally I'm probably enjoying (traditional) german rieslings more at the moment, but haven't given up on the Clare rieslings in the cellar.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:24 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Otto
Indeed a very handy wine. We've recently picked up a couple of the 1999 "contours" museum release version of this wine (AFAIK it's essentially the same wine held back, rather than any additional selection). Always the option to drink this young or wait 5-10 years which it wears well.
Strong value for the variety / region, even above the normal good value.

Having seen your note on the 76 Beerenauslese, what's your preference re: dry vs. sweet riesling? Happy to enjoy a range of styles, or one style that you favour over the others? Personally I'm probably enjoying (traditional) german rieslings more at the moment, but haven't given up on the Clare rieslings in the cellar.

regards

Ian

I've not tasted an aged Pewsey Vale but I keep on hearing they're great. I've just never managed to keep my hands off them when young.

What I like about Riesling is that it makes the whole spectrum from dry to sweet so well. In northern Germany I'll admit that I do want some RS, but apart from that I'm happy with any well made Riesling. No preference on the sweetness scale as long as it is balanced.

Apart from M-S-R, Trimbach makes some of my favourite Rieslings, and they are drier than al-Rub' al-Khálí! I've not had the opportunity to taste through much Aussie Riesling, but if they are on the level of Pewsey Vale I will always gladly drink them. None available here of course....
no avatar
User

stevenryals

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:21 pm

by stevenryals » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:36 pm

My favorite "Cheap" wine is Rex Goliath Cab, its really good, and only costs about $7.99 or so.

-steven
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:47 pm

stevenryals wrote:My favorite "Cheap" wine is Rex Goliath Cab, its really good, and only costs about $7.99 or so.

-steven

Seems a bit Monty Pythony doesn't it (see here and here)? This and the other post? If not, I'm sorry.

-Otto-
no avatar
User

stevenryals

Rank

Cellar rat

by stevenryals » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Seems a bit Monty Pythony doesn't it (see here and here)? This and the other post? If not, I'm sorry.

-Otto-

I cant view the clips, I'm at work and those are filtered.

I'm sorry Otto, but I'm still learning, and I'm definately not the most wealthy man on earth, so $7 is a good price for me, but I do love wine, and monty python or not, I like the way it the Rex tastes. The most expensive daily drinker I will buy would be $20 or so.

I don't have extensive knowledge of the wines like you do, I do go to tasting, and learn as much as possible though.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:39 pm

stevenryals wrote:
I cant view the clips, I'm at work and those are filtered.

I'm sorry Otto, but I'm still learning, and I'm definately not the most wealthy man on earth, so $7 is a good price for me, but I do love wine, and monty python or not, I like the way it the Rex tastes. The most expensive daily drinker I will buy would be $20 or so.

I don't have extensive knowledge of the wines like you do, I do go to tasting, and learn as much as possible though.

Well, the clips were MP's famous Spam skits. I thought that this post and one other was a bit spammy, hence my post. Sorry about that.

There's nothing wrong with liking cheap wine. I'd love to get good $7 wines here, but unfortunately due to politics the cheapest wines available are about 5€ and are undrinkable. The cheapest drinkable ones are about the 10€ range. We have it tough here. Enjoy it over there since you can get good cheap stuff.
no avatar
User

stevenryals

Rank

Cellar rat

by stevenryals » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:43 pm

Just to twist the knife, We can get good wines on 'indian reservations' (which are tax free area's) for as little as $2.99... :)
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Cheap stuff?

Beware the screw cap.

:shock:
no avatar
User

stevenryals

Rank

Cellar rat

by stevenryals » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:28 pm

A distributor I know is trying to 'sell' the idea of the screw cap to everyone around here... he says it's the best way to "keep" wine... I think I'd rather have a nice cork anyday. :)

-steven
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:46 pm

Otto
I've just spent an hour or so watching various Python sketches as a result of your post! Sadly no Aussie wine sketch though :(
regards
Ian