How much in the cellar?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby James Roscoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:45 pm

JoePerry wrote:120 Bottles (not counting daily drinkers) with plenty of room for growth in my 500 bottle cellar. This is what I’d like to add, in order of importance.

***Vintage Champagne
More Northern Rhones (Faurie, Barge, Jasmin, Graillot)
95, 98, 99 Chave
More Bartolo Mascarello
More G. Rinaldi
More Good Sherry
More Riojanas
More La Rioja Alta
Ageworthy Gruner
Misc. Chateau-Chalon (thanks, Yixin!)
Dugat
Jayer

My goal is to have a self-sustaining* amount of each of the following by the time I’m 30 (3 years, 1 month): Barolo, Rioja, Burgundy, Rhones, Champagne.

Best,
Joe

* self-sustaining in that I’ll have a big enough base that I can just do maintenance upkeep. For Rioja (since I drink a lot) it might be 75 bottles, for vintage Champagne it might only be 30 bottles...


That's a nice list and I was thinking mine would look similar except that I love Bordeaux. Then I got to thinking about the Alsatians I love. That in turn reminded me that I need to add some age-worthy German Reislings. Then there are Brunellos and Chiantis and I suddenly realized my list might look much different. Viva la difference!
James Roscoe
Chat Prince
 
Posts: 10474
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Isaac » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I think I am going to send this message on to my wife. At least she will learn that I'm not the only one. (26 years and counting.)



It will be 26 years of wedded bliss for us this December as well. How nice that so many of you have enjoyed long marriages. You won't find those kind of stats on just any forum; we are members of a very exclusive "club" anymore! Hmm...perhaps those couples that enjoy wine together, stay together?
:cool:
What a coincidence. My wife and I will hit 26 years in October. It hasn't all been blissful, but far more good than bad!
User avatar
Isaac
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Isaac » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:41 pm

RonicaJM wrote::lol: You all are so funny! Many good threads going on here:

- the sticker one is of particular interest to me since my hubby thinks that 2 buck chuck is a good deal for wine. :?

I've been on ebay checking out wine cellars. These things are not cheap! My husband and I are king and queen of finding a good deal. Found a new Danby 35 bottle, never used cooler in the paper for $200. I offtered $100. I'll keep you posted.
Ha! I got a 47-bottle Sanyo at Goodwill for $76!
User avatar
Isaac
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Chris L » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:26 pm

I have a small 30 bottle dual zone Danby. I bought it a year ago when i only had a couple bottles i kept in the closet, but now i am in the position of having to drink some to put others in. Fortunately i only have a couple i intend to cellar for the long run.

one of the wierd things i have discovered about myself is that i enjoy choosing and buying wine almost as much as drinking it. I think it is the building of anticipation and intrigue that i like. Anyone else share my feelings?
<img src="http://www.lopezphoto.com/work/cork_screw.jpg">
Chris L
Cellar rat
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:40 am
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:00 pm

Chris L wrote:
one of the wierd things i have discovered about myself is that i enjoy choosing and buying wine almost as much as drinking it. I think it is the building of anticipation and intrigue that i like. Anyone else share my feelings?


Sadly, :lol: this is exactly my problem over the last couple years. With me, it's a collecting addiction (and I've got other things as well). I like reading about the family histories of the estates and wineries, the wine architecture, the debates about the history of the grape varietals, etc.

Plus, I love the experience of buying wine-visiting the wineries, doing the tastings, experiencing a beautiful day on my bicycle in wine country combined with well-spaced tastings, going to good small wine shops where the proprietors or staff are passionate about wine. I would never buy wine off a website or, frankly, a Costco, because I can't get that "experience" from the buying process.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7052
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Josh » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:27 pm

Good thread.

My collection is currently 1.3 bottles.

But in November or December I am having a 500 bottle fridge delivered, (hopefully).
User avatar
Josh
Wine geek
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Bermuda

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby OW Holmes » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:06 pm

Josh, how is it out there? Will you have electricity by November????
And what's with the .3 of a bottle?
-OW
User avatar
OW Holmes
Wine guru
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby DebA » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Isaac wrote:
Deborah Ackerman wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I think I am going to send this message on to my wife. At least she will learn that I'm not the only one. (26 years and counting.)



It will be 26 years of wedded bliss for us this December as well. How nice that so many of you have enjoyed long marriages. You won't find those kind of stats on just any forum; we are members of a very exclusive "club" anymore! Hmm...perhaps those couples that enjoy wine together, stay together?
:cool:
What a coincidence. My wife and I will hit 26 years in October. It hasn't all been blissful, but far more good than bad!

_________________________________

Hi Isaac! Congrats to you too! Bliss is definitely in the eye of the beholder, but more good than bad is a pretty great outcome with anything in life ;) I look at it this way, no one on the planet would be "perfect" and thank God, 'cause they would have found imperfect me! To me, bliss is a state of mind characterized more by attitude towards whatever one is engaged in than "perfection." I'm a far better person for having found my husband in this crazy world, and amazingly, he feels the same about me. Now surely that has got to qualify as bliss! :cool:
User avatar
DebA
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: N. of the equator

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Josh » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:42 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Josh, how is it out there? Will you have electricity by November????
And what's with the .3 of a bottle?


All hooked up! :D

The .3 represents whats left of the Brunello I craked last night!
User avatar
Josh
Wine geek
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Bermuda

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby RonicaJM » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:29 pm

Isaac wrote:
RonicaJM wrote::lol: You all are so funny! Many good threads going on here:

- the sticker one is of particular interest to me since my hubby thinks that 2 buck chuck is a good deal for wine. :?

I've been on ebay checking out wine cellars. These things are not cheap! My husband and I are king and queen of finding a good deal. Found a new Danby 35 bottle, never used cooler in the paper for $200. I offtered $100. I'll keep you posted.
Ha! I got a 47-bottle Sanyo at Goodwill for $76!


$76!!!! That's robbery. Those poor people are Goodwill were rooked! I'm going to Goodwill tomorrow! :wink:
In vino veritas...
RonicaJM
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Isaac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:29 am

RonicaJM wrote:
Isaac wrote:
RonicaJM wrote::lol: You all are so funny! Many good threads going on here:

- the sticker one is of particular interest to me since my hubby thinks that 2 buck chuck is a good deal for wine. :?

I've been on ebay checking out wine cellars. These things are not cheap! My husband and I are king and queen of finding a good deal. Found a new Danby 35 bottle, never used cooler in the paper for $200. I offtered $100. I'll keep you posted.
Ha! I got a 47-bottle Sanyo at Goodwill for $76!


$76!!!! That's robbery. Those poor people are Goodwill were rooked! I'm going to Goodwill tomorrow! :wink:
Good luck. I keep hoping I'll find another, but, so far, it hasn't happened.
User avatar
Isaac
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Dave Erickson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:35 pm

"Oxygenation" is the practice of adding oxygen to wine to stimulate the polymerization of tannins. In it's most modern form, it's called "micro-oygenation" and it's one of the running jokes in the movie "Mondovino." Basically, it's a way of introducing oxygen in a more controlled and less messy form than the traditional pump-over.

"Oxidation" is a flaw in wine (I was kinda making a joke, hence the smiley)--the result of overexposure to oxygen. Think of it as wine "rusting."

The word I would have used, if I was not being snarky, would be "aeration." This is not to be confused with the wine-making term "aeration," which is the traditional technique for oxygenation.

PS: The purpose of aeration/micro-oxygenation is the same: To encourage yeast growth, to promote maturation, and to fix problems like reduction.
User avatar
Dave Erickson
Wine guru
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Dave Erickson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:38 pm

Deborah Ackerman wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:...There's also a fairly constant rotation of "business" wines--one's I'm experimenting with to see how long they have to be open before they reach some sort of peak. We're into the mad scientist thing, where there are always a half-dozen bottles open, all in various stages of oxidation. :D That's how I figured out that Olivier LeFlaive's 2002 Cuvee Margot needed three hours uncorked--not two, and not four. Also how I discovered that certain nero d'avola bottles develop huge noses of fig on Day Two...


How often do you have a taste test during the process, Dave? :cool:


For decanted wines, I'll taste once every 30 minutes. (Just to be clear, this involves spitting, not swallowing) For wines that have been opened and the cork replaced, once a day until the stuff becomes oxidized or goes dead. I find this very helpful in selling wine. Many, many wines change character for the better after they've been open for a day, sometimes a couple days. It's good to be able to tell customers what to expect.

PS: There are no impertinent questions. See above.
User avatar
Dave Erickson
Wine guru
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Glenn Mackles » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:43 pm

I am very glad to know that I am not the only person who thinks some of the wine I drink is much better on the second day. I live alone and tend to drink about a 1/2 bottle a day so I end up drinking quite a bit of wine on the "second" day. Many big reds, even those that have been aging awhile, seem much better on the second day (much like some pot roast I am familiar with). I just have been thusfar unable to accurately predict which wines will have the "better second day" effect.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
User avatar
Glenn Mackles
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby DebA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:"Oxygenation" is the practice of adding oxygen to wine to stimulate the polymerization of tannins. In it's most modern form, it's called "micro-oygenation" and it's one of the running jokes in the movie "Mondovino." Basically, it's a way of introducing oxygen in a more controlled and less messy form than the traditional pump-over.

"Oxidation" is a flaw in wine (I was kinda making a joke, hence the smiley)--the result of overexposure to oxygen. Think of it as wine "rusting."

The word I would have used, if I was not being snarky, would be "aeration." This is not to be confused with the wine-making term "aeration," which is the traditional technique for oxygenation.

PS: The purpose of aeration/micro-oxygenation is the same: To encourage yeast growth, to promote maturation, and to fix problems like reduction.

_______________________
Dave, thank you very much for addressing my question; I appreciate it. I'm still a little confused, but that is due to my elementary understanding, no fault of yours. I apologize for missing the joke, even with the emoticon, but that has to do with my newbie level of understanding the humor, not having seen "Mondovino" and, therefore, not having that point of reference. If I understand your explanation correctly, the term oxygenation is correct, though you would've used the word aeration, which makes sense to me as they both seem to be applicable. Thanks again for taking the time! :cool:
User avatar
DebA
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: N. of the equator

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby DebA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:03 pm

How often do you have a taste test during the process, Dave? :cool:

For decanted wines, I'll taste once every 30 minutes. (Just to be clear, this involves spitting, not swallowing) For wines that have been opened and the cork replaced, once a day until the stuff becomes oxidized or goes dead. I find this very helpful in selling wine. Many, many wines change character for the better after they've been open for a day, sometimes a couple days. It's good to be able to tell customers what to expect.

PS: There are no impertinent questions. See above.
______________________

Dave, thanks very much for the clarification on this question, as well. I'm really anxious to give this whole process a try! Thanks for understanding that I was definitely not trying to be impertinent...e-mail can be risky at times! :cool:
User avatar
DebA
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: N. of the equator

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Covert » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Ronica, I maintain about 700 bottles of Bordeaux. I let the best vintages age and drink the so-called lesser vintages, which usually last 10 to 15 years. They are not always lesser to me. When I drink a couple of cases, I buy a couple more.

When I die I will have 700 bottles of very fine Bordeaux left in my cellar, because the best ones won't be ready anytime soon. I am determined to find a surrogate niece to will them to. My real niece isn't interested, and seems to like New World wines better, anyway. In in my travels, when I meet pretty young women who seem to like wine, I challenge them to develop and demonstrate a taste in Bordeaux, so that I can leave my modest collection to them. They think I am kidding, or they don't care, or whatever, because they never accept the challenge. I'll find one eventually.

Covert
Covert
NOT David Caruso
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Albany, New York

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby OW Holmes » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Covert, if I wear a wig, and pretend I am much younger, would I qualify? Maybe even undergo surgery?? Or are you only interested in Ronica????
-OW
User avatar
OW Holmes
Wine guru
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Isaac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Covert wrote:Ronica, I maintain about 700 bottles of Bordeaux. I let the best vintages age and drink the so-called lesser vintages, which usually last 10 to 15 years. They are not always lesser to me. When I drink a couple of cases, I buy a couple more.

When I die I will have 700 bottles of very fine Bordeaux left in my cellar, because the best ones won't be ready anytime soon. I am determined to find a surrogate niece to will them to. My real niece isn't interested, and seems to like New World wines better, anyway. In in my travels, when I meet pretty young women who seem to like wine, I challenge them to develop and demonstrate a taste in Bordeaux, so that I can leave my modest collection to them. They think I am kidding, or they don't care, or whatever, because they never accept the challenge. I'll find one eventually.

Covert
Covert, please allow me to introduce you to my wife. She's a lovely young woman, quite fond of Bordeaux, and she recently lost her uncle...
User avatar
Isaac
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Covert » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Covert, if I wear a wig, and pretend I am much younger, would I qualify? Maybe even undergo surgery?? Or are you only interested in Ronica????


For all I know, you are a girl and she's a guy. I don't buy nothin' off the web - except wine. :)
Covert
NOT David Caruso
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Albany, New York

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Covert » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:56 pm

Isaac wrote: Covert, please allow me to introduce you to my wife. She's a lovely young woman, quite fond of Bordeaux, and she recently lost her uncle...


Isaac, I would seriously consider it...if you could prove that you don't have a better collection, yourself; but I'll bet that would be difficult.

I really am serious about trying to find the right person. And I'm not partial to young girls. It's just that I plan to die in 20 some-odd years, so if I pick someone who is middle age, he or she would be too old to enjoy it. It makes no sense whatsoever to leave the wine with my estate, since it would just be sold or put in a shed someplace.

Covert
Covert
NOT David Caruso
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: Albany, New York

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby DebA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Covert wrote:
OW Holmes wrote:Covert, if I wear a wig, and pretend I am much younger, would I qualify? Maybe even undergo surgery?? Or are you only interested in Ronica????


For all I know, you are a girl and she's a guy. I don't buy nothin' off the web - except wine. :)

______________________
LOL!! Now, that is wisdom talking! :cool:
User avatar
DebA
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:11 pm
Location: N. of the equator

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby Isaac » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm

Covert wrote:
Isaac wrote: Covert, please allow me to introduce you to my wife. She's a lovely young woman, quite fond of Bordeaux, and she recently lost her uncle...


Isaac, I would seriously consider it...if you could prove that you don't have a better collection, yourself; but I'll bet that would be difficult.

I really am serious about trying to find the right person. And I'm not partial to young girls. It's just that I plan to die in 20 some-odd years, so if I pick someone who is middle age, he or she would be too old to enjoy it. It makes no sense whatsoever to leave the wine with my estate, since it would just be sold or put in a shed someplace.

Covert
Hmm. Well, my wife is 48, already middle-aged by most definitions, so I suppose she (and I!) is out of the running. I assure you, we have nowhere near 700 bottles of wine, let alone that many Bordeauxs. I'm also sure that what I have is nowhere near the quality you have. My best Bordeaux is, I think the 2000 Chateau LaRose-Trintaudon. I intend to make things better, hopefully soon.

I also have a daughter who likes reds. She's only 22. How about if we promise to pass it on to her? :wink:
User avatar
Isaac
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: How much in the cellar?

Postby OW Holmes » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Covert wrote:
OW Holmes wrote:Covert, if I wear a wig, and pretend I am much younger, would I qualify? Maybe even undergo surgery?? Or are you only interested in Ronica????


For all I know, you are a girl and she's a guy. I don't buy nothin' off the web - except wine. :)


Hmmm. I'm watching Dateline with my wife tonight. Predators using the internet to hook up with 13 year olds. Disgusting.

Seriously, though, I do understand your plight. I have slightly less in my cellar, and while I might desire to drink it up leaving nothing to my kids, I know there will be 600 bottles left when I tip over. Thankfully, daughter Karn has recently taken an interest, which I hope to continue, but until then I was trying to figure out who would get the remains of my cellar. I started a wine group at the firm and I kind of figured to leave the cellar to them. Every Thursday night at 5 they could drink three or four bottles and offer a toast to Old Willy. That would last for about 4 years. Good enough.
-OW
User avatar
OW Holmes
Wine guru
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

PreviousNext

Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChaimShraga, Google [Bot] and 15 guests