The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 am

I have fond memories of a pink pinot noir from Carneros grapes that Saintsbury made under the name Vincent Vin Gris.

Hey, well--we already have a Marilyn Merlot. I think the French should get in the act with Marcel Meursault and Brigitte Bordeaux.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Anyone had a 2009 Tempier Bandol rose yet?

Yup and they are very very good with a but,....

This version is more of everything, more fruit, more plump, more ripe, more minerality, more, etc,. than the 2008. But I've always liked Roses for their "restaint". They are a bit more of a gulper than a sipper and when it is more, it requires me to slow down a bit.... so it's a stylistic thing for me for Tempier this year. Lovely wine, if you like this. It's like handing me a Loire white that was ripe, and full and dense ,....not sure that would be what I was looking for. perhaps I'm exaggerating,... having said that, I bought more after this bottle but yes, at $39 stones, it expensive.....
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Coming in under the wine! 2009 Capcanes, Monsant, Mas Donis Rosat ($9.99 Whole Foods). Alcohol level: 13%, with a screw cap. The wine is a blend of 80% Grenacha, 10% Syrah, and 10% Merlot.

It was a lovely almost full bodied rose’. It was full of ripe red fruit with strawberries being prominent. Rich and seductive as it crossed the palate and it had a nice finish.

We matched it with candied ham loaf (made with ground leftover Virginia ham), and succotash. It all went down for a nice Tuesday night.
Last edited by Carl Eppig on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 pm

I can't believe there has been no bites on Steve's 2007 Bone Jolly at close out price. What gives?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am

I tried the same 2009 Chateau de Segries Rose', Tavel that Otto had but liked it better than he did. I found it to be a pleasant berry-flavored refreshing summer wine with some rose petal suggestions and a versatile food wine.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:39 am

2009 Leverano Rosato Vechhia Torre, Italy. Produced and bottled by Cantina Sociale Cooperative S.R.L. Imported by James G. Stock, Haw River, NC. Labeled 12.5% alcohol by volume.

Medium to deep coral color with transparency. Red berries on the nose. Red berries and citrus on the palate. A little boring; doesn't do much for me. After two glasses I poured the rest down the drain and moved on to the Chateau de Segries Tavel.
Previous