The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Jenise wrote:
James Dietz wrote:
I completely agree with you, Jenise. The Melton does age nicely. I cannot find it locally anymore, but if I could, I would buy it by the case.. some for now, some for a few years down the line.

Your post caused me to go looking. I found evidence that John Gorman got the 2008 in last year, but otherwise it has virtually vanished from the U.S. marketplace. What happened?????

It's only slightly late for a 2009 to be hitting the marketplace.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Jennifer,

I also want to welcome you, but also let you know that per WLDG rules/tradition/custom/etc we do not allow the use of the forum for promoting a wine where one has a financial interest, nor directing traffic to alternate web sites with competing forums (even new ones). You are more than welcome to participate in the discussions here though.

Thanks for understanding.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Well then I expect a chance to try it. :mrgreen:

I'm surprised by the use of Cabernet Sauvignon - I would expect a bit of potential greenness or even heaviness from it.

Long long ago, for a few years Sterling made a "white cabernet" though I'm not sure they called it exactly that, might have had a proprietary name, sold only at the winery--it was super pale but of a pinkish hue. And it was delicious--no green. Now I was almost a kid then so my impressions must be taken with a grain of salt, but it was a dry, complex wine with that 'woody' taste I mentioned liking so much.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:28 pm

I've had a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon rose' from Washington State. Snoqualmie used to make one called Cirque du Rose'. I don't think they still offer it. In checking their website I see that they list several wines from organically grown grapes. I think Thorpe Wines from McLaren Vale, Australia has also made a C.S. rose' in the past but I'm not certain of my facts.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Jenise reported on the 2009 Marques de Caceres Rioja Rose'. I had the 2008 vintage this past weekend. Dry rose' wine reduced from $9.99 to $8.99 at Harris-Teeter grocery store. 13.5% alcohol by volume. Screwcap. Label recommends pairing with hors d'oeuvres, paella, seafood or chicken.
Coral-pink color; some transparency. On the palate I find red berries and white peach flavors. Very pleasant. Enough acid to balance the fruit. Served blind, I doubt that I could distinguish it as from Rioja. In fact, most rose's would be hard for me to identify by region. This paired quite nicely with baked shrimp in an orange-ginger sauce and yellow rice. I went back to buy more for a church fundraiser since I wasn't able to get more of the Muga Rioja rose'.
I will try either the Tavel or the Reverdy Sancerre rose' next. (Forgot to bring my notes on the Schug Carneros Pinot Noir rose'--hope I remember them tomorrow.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:01 pm

On Sunday we had a glass each of NV Casal Garcia vinho verde 'rojo', which is essentially a rose by color. I mentioned having had it already in this thread, but the contents of this bottle were a darker, fresher reddish color vs. the other's paler, coppery tone, and overall a fresher, livelier wine. Very good, though the inconsistency is a concern: makes me wonder if this is made/bottled by a cooperative such that the results from one batch to the next can vary widely. Anyway, we liked it quite a bit and it paired nicely with scallops in a dried tomato-cream sauce.

Later we decided to try another rose, a malbec based wine: 2009 Georges Vigoroux 'Pigmentum', Cahors. Especially in comparison to the vinho verde, we found this wine simple and sweet, almost candied. Neither of us cared for it so it went back in the fridge. Then last night we poured another glass: wow, what a different wine it turned into. That sweet outer layer is gone and what's there now is the most satisfyingly complex rose we've had yet this summer. Strawberry, cranberry, rhubarb, cinnamon bark and something a little wild like sage are packed into a wine that's taut with good acidity and some satisfying tannic structure. Quite a metamorphosis, from childlike to confident adult literally overnight. Outstanding.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Jenise wrote: Quite a metamorphosis, from childlike to confident adult literally overnight.

I've been waiting 40 years.. and still nothing..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:33 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Jenise wrote: Quite a metamorphosis, from childlike to confident adult literally overnight.

I've been waiting 40 years.. and still nothing..

Well, the bed-wetting you can get professional help for. But the rest.... :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:30 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I start the season by ordering a case of Syncline Columbia Valley Rosé. The 2009 vintage blend is a saignee of 37% Cinsault, 35% Counoise, 12% Grenache, 11% Mourvedre and 5% Carignan. It is bright and fruity with nice complexity. 13.8% ABV

-- Clark

Clark, good to see your note. A friend just brought some of this home from the winery and I look forward to trying it. Would also love to get my hands on some Sleight of Hand Cab Franc rose if Trey made it this year. Have you had it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Anyone had a 2009 Tempier Bandol rose yet?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 pm

Jenise wrote:Anyone had a 2009 Tempier Bandol rose yet?

Nope. Choked on the local price of $34.99.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:29 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Jenise wrote:Anyone had a 2009 Tempier Bandol rose yet?

Nope. Choked on the local price of $34.99.

Premier Cru has 375's for $14.95.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:18 pm

I still haven't brought the notes on the Schug Carneros Pinot Noir rose'.
Tuesday night I opened the 2009 PASCAL ET NICOLAS REVERDY TERRE DE MAIMBRAY ROSE, SANCERRE, FRANCE.
From Pinot Noir grapes, listed as 13% alcohol, natural cork. $23.99 plus tax at The Wine Merchant, Raleigh.
Peter Weygandt Selection. Imported by Weygandt-Metzler, Unionville, PA.
Pale pink color. the palest rose' wine I've had this month. The Pinosity, however, comes through on this one. A touch tart, but attractively so. Strawberries on the nose and palate. I would like to try with a spinach, strawberry, and pecan salad which is a great summer salad. It would also be a good match to chicken or turkey--perhaps chicken salad or turkey sandwiches on a picnic or an al fresco lunch. It could also serve as an aperitif before dinner.
I liked it better than the Schug Pinot Noir Rose' and ordered two more bottles for later this summer. I didn't find it to be deep or serious but eminently quaffable (some cellar tracker notes do describe it as having some depth and complexity--maybe with an additional year--but I enjoy it now.)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:30 pm

We buy some of Hug Cellars' Rose every year... this year's batch is called XOXO in keeping with their slogan that everybody needs a Hug, I guess. Good stuff.. we drink about a case a year..

• 2009 Hug Cellars XOXO - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles

Great color in glass..looks like a Gamay. No pink here. As in most years, good grip and bite on this, with lush watermelon/red berry flavors. I think this is one I will try to hold a bottle to test how it ages. Terrific. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Jean-Marc Burgaud Rosez! NV - label

Though officially NV, it is in practice completely from 2009. Very pale. Very mineral, delicate strawberry aromas; light and crisp. Reading this, it seems like a simple rosé. But that would give the wrong impression: it is elegant, it isn't showy, it is pure and precise, it isn't gobby. It is a wine (rare for rosé) that actually invites me to look for its personality rather than flaunting it. I find it deeply satisfying.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:26 pm

James Dietz wrote:We buy some of Hug Cellars' Rose every year... this year's batch is called XOXO in keeping with their slogan that everybody needs a Hug, I guess. Good stuff.. we drink about a case a year..

• 2009 Hug Cellars XOXO - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles

Great color in glass..looks like a Gamay. No pink here. As in most years, good grip and bite on this, with lush watermelon/red berry flavors. I think this is one I will try to hold a bottle to test how it ages. Terrific. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

James, I don't know anything about the Hug rosé of gamay, but I know the ESJ Bone Jolly is a fine summer tipple. And about a rosé that can withstand a little age? I found a 4 bottle stash in the cellar and opened one. I found that so fresh and good, I wrote Steve and he said he still has some he will let go at a good price...I bought another case. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:12 pm

A couple of really nice ones I tasted today:

2008 Inman Family Pinot Noir Rosé "Endless Crush"
Kathleen says this is from the Olivet Grange Vineyard, and is picked early intentionally in order to make a Southern French-styled rosé. Really elegant and refreshing with delicate melon, pomegranate and strawberry flavours lifted by bright acids, beautifully balanced and long. Delicious!

2009 Benovia Pinot Noir Rosé Russian River Valley
Fresh, juicy strawberry and raspberry fruit in a very light and refreshing package. Yum!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Salil wrote:is picked early intentionally in order to make a Southern French-styled rosé.

That tells you something about how hot this CA climate really is!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:03 am

`09 Ganton and Larsen Prospect Valley Trutch Map Rosé, Okanagan BC.

Helped out at the annual Wines of Canada tasting downtown where 60 wines were poured throughout the afternoon. This was one of the few pinkies offered but quite enjoyable. Strawberry on the nose plus some cranberry. Hint of honey on the palate, quite elegant fair acidity and smooth finish. Believe this is a Mission Hill estate wine?
no avatar
User

Ernie in Berkeley

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

by Ernie in Berkeley » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Mas Champart 2009 Saint-Chinian. Not much there, in either the nose or mouth, generic. About $14 at Kermit.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:38 pm

ernie in Berkeley wrote:Mas Champart 2009 Saint-Chinian. Not much there, in either the nose or mouth, generic. About $14 at Kermit.

One for the uncritical clientele in beachfront restaurants!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:35 pm

WTN: `09 Ochoa Rosado Garnacha, Navarra.

Synthetic cork, 13% alc, $17 Cdn, 100% Garnacha. Good consistent winery and know how to produce a nice rosado.

Color is a bright raspberry pink, I think "deep blood orange" from fellow taster. On the nose, classic red fruits and hint of thyme.
Initial thought on entry was off-dry, raspberry, strawberry. Nice balance, better finish as it warms a little....smooth, ripe fruits including blackberry. "Cranberry here too, a terrific luscious wine". I had to agree!
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Jenise wrote:On Sunday we had a glass each of NV Casal Garcia vinho verde 'rojo', which is essentially a rose by color. I mentioned having had it already in this thread, but the contents of this bottle were a darker, fresher reddish color vs. the other's paler, coppery tone, and overall a fresher, livelier wine. Very good, though the inconsistency is a concern: makes me wonder if this is made/bottled by a cooperative such that the results from one batch to the next can vary widely.,,,,.

For some obscure reason, I've only gotten around to drinking a single rose in the month of June. That being the Casal Garcia Rose, purchased on a sweltering day mostly for refreshment (and the $5.50/bottle pricetag didn't hurt either). It was, as you say, very lively and refreshing; watermelon sprang to mind. I'm going to venture to say that your bottle variation is more likely to be due to one wine being older and/or from a previous "vintage" (since it is a NV wine). It is actually made by Aveleda, which is one of the larger Portuguese wine producers, so they should have the ability to control the consistency quite well. Clearly, they must buy in lots of grapes for the Casal Garcia wines, but for just a few dollars more they have some estate bottled VV (not roses, AFAIK) which are even better. And of course good, estate grown VV like Soalheiro is even better, but they you are breaking the $10 price barrier!
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 am

2007 Domaine Fontanyl, Cotes de Provence This blend consisting mostly of Mourvedre is a very, very pale pink. The aromas and flavors mirror the color, but that's not a bad thing with this wine. Slight floral aromas and tastes of strawberries, grapefruit and lemons with a light mineral undertone. Good acidity makes this a nice summer sipper as well as a foil for food (in this case, Greek seasoned Mahi with marinated artichoke hearts). Good value at $12, this was recommended when the local shop had run out of our favorite rosé - Domaine de Nizas.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
PreviousNext