The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 pm

2009 Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly Gamay Rose
Ok, so I opened this a day early, but at least I can get another note in. Perhaps I have caught Gilman disease, as I swear it was a bit chemical/rubery/tinny for the first hour, but after that there was nothing but strawberries, chalk and all the things I have come to know and love in this wine.I still think the 2006 is the best version of this Rose that Steve has ever made, but I will happily slurp down the 2009 this summer.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Wine Focus for June: Looks like rosé!

by Shaji M » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 pm

David,
I am all for Rosé! With winter still lingering in Northern Nevada like an unwanted house guest, the window to drink them will be woefully brief :(
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I recently had two bottles of the 2009 Chateau D'Aqueria Tavel Rose on two hots, muggy days/nights in southern Ontario. I lovely, well priced rose here ($19 CAD), with strawberry and watermelon notes what I remember most. Nicely dry, medium bodied, and very refeshing. A slight tinge of alcohol at the end, perhaps, but overall a very nice rose, one I'd definitely buy again (B+/A-).
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

Re: WTN: 2009 Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly Gamay Rose

by Kelly Young » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:02 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2009 Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly Gamay Rose
Ok, so I opened this a day early, but at least I can get another note in. Perhaps I have caught Gilman disease, as I swear it was a bit chemical/rubery/tinny for the first hour, but after that there was nothing but strawberries, chalk and all the things I have come to know and love in this wine.I still think the 2006 is the best version of this Rose that Steve has ever made, but I will happily slurp down the 2009 this summer.

Curious you had this result with this wine, when that's a bit like what I experienced with the Heart of Gold (no problem with the Bone Jolly though). Curious.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:20 am

Shaji M wrote:David,
I am all for Rosé! With winter still lingering in Northern Nevada like an unwanted house guest, the window to drink them will be woefully brief :(

Not much has changed up here since my last post! 2 weeks birding in terrible conditions down in S Alberta.

Top rose for me is always the Lancyre from Pic St Loup.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:02 am

The Lancyre finally showed up in my local shop. I am going to grab a bottle soon.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am

I'm opening a Cotes du Rhone rose' tonight. I'm going to need a couple glasses as I am also cleaning the refrigerator tonight.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 am

JC (NC) wrote:I'm opening a Cotes du Rhone rose' tonight. I'm going to need a couple glasses as I am also cleaning the refrigerator tonight.

Sweetie, have the whole bottle. That's a JOB! :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lisa B

Rank

Just got here

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:57 pm

by Lisa B » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm just sipping a 2009 rosé from Tavel :P :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:27 am

Lisa B wrote:I'm just sipping a 2009 rosé from Tavel :P :D

Welcome Lisa!

Which Tavel? Tell us more.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:41 am

Welcome Lisa. Look out for the Tavel from Roc-Epine, in fact any wine from this domaine!!

Where are you based?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

WTN: 2008 Frank Cornelissen Rose Susucaru #2

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 pm

2008 Frank Cornelissen Rose Susucaru #2

Too much rhyming with this wine - reminds me of a Phil Collins song. Su-su-su-sucaru

Anyway, Spencer brought out a bottle of this very interesting wine last night. It had been jostled around a bit in the car on the way to the restaurant, and combined with its rather day-glo pink color made it look more like some island umbrella drink than wine. Funny enough it also smelled like an umbrella drink with very vivid tropical fruit tones being the dominant factor. On the palate it was bone dry, still somewhat fruity, and a bit drying on the finish. I found it to be a very interesting drink, and escape from the everyday, if a little too Rupert Holmes in its appearance. :wink:

FYI - this paragon of "natural wine" was under a plastic cork! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:24 pm

My Rosé of the year, so far, is the 2009 Lagier Meredith Rosé of Syrah from Napa, (Mt. Veeder). I think this is the first Rosé I've had since that bottle of Lancers in college. I really enjoy it and it is far better than any Rosé I've ever had. It is so nicely balanced that you'd never guess it was 14.8% abv. The problem is that I have just a few bottles, all in the cooler, and I'm trying to not drink them too quickly. I do have a lot of the 2009 Domaine du Pere Caboche, which is a Vin de Pays de Vaucluse, a Grenache - Syrah blend 12.5% abv. It is very drinkable and might last the summer.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN / 30 Second Wine Advisor: Rosé; Mosby 2009 Rosato

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Wine Focus: Rosé of Summer

In one of the many ways in which the world of wine lovers is divided into two parts, we have those who love to sip rosé wine, especially in the summer time, versus those who consider roseé neither fish nor fowl, a weak substitute for red and an odd replacement for white.

I used to be firmly in the "No rosé, José" camp, but in fairness, a couple of summer visits to Provence and a few memorable lunches al fresco gave me a quick attitude adjustment, at least insofar as Provence-style pink wine is concerned, with its crisp, dry, berry and herbal scents and flavors and its great affinity for the food of the country.

Now I'm far more willing to consider a rosé, and it doesn't even have to be from Provence as long as it's dry. (The sweet "blush" wines are not to my personal taste.) Nor does it have to be French. Italian Rosato, Spanish Rosado or pink wines from California, Australia and around the world all have their attraction, as long as the wine in my glass is flavorful and frankly interesting, good enough to enjoy with a light chill and not a taste-bud-numbing freeze.

Today's tasting features the 2009 Santa Barbara County Rosato from Mosby Winery in Buellton, Calif., a winery for which I've held long affection thanks to proprietor Bill Mosby's fierce devotion to growing Italian grapes and making Italian-style wines on California's Central Coast.

This pink wine is made from estate-grown Cannonau grapes, the Sardinian version of Grenache. It's a rich, dense rosé, almost dark enough to qualify as a lighter red, and its dry, acidic red-fruit flavor gains heft from a solid but not overbearing 13.5 percent alcohol. It's a fine pink wine indeed, an attitude-changer for those who think they don't care for pink.

Mosby 2009 Santa Barbara County Rosato ($18)

Clear, bright garnet, so dark for a rosé that it could pass on sight for a lighter-style red. Pleasant red-fruit aromas are complex and elusive... cranberries, for certain, and a more subtle touch of raspberry. Tart, mouth-watering acidity on the palate underscores the impression of fresh cranberries, lingering into a very long, clean finish. An exceptional rosé, to the extent that my long-suffering wife, normally a rosé-hater, praises it and requests a second glass. (April 29, 2010)

FOOD MATCH: Good for summer sipping but fine with food, particularly suited to grilled chicken, sausages or pork. It was splendid with a Misty Meadows Farm Kentucky natural ham steak in peanut oil with a little fresh sage.

VALUE: While $18 may seem on the high side for a rosé, it's fair for a wine of this quality irrespective of color.

WEB LINK: Mosby's colorful Website offers information on the winery and all its wines, and an online wine store for shipment where the law permits.
http://www.mosbywines.com

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE: Wine-Searcher.com offers only limited sources for Mosby Rosato.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Mosby ... g_site=WLP
To order it from the winery, click Mosby's red wine shopping cart and page down to the 2009 Rosato.
https://mosbywines.com/store/?page_id=3&category=1
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Crios de Susan Balbo Rose of Malbec
13.00 Greenback Dollar Bills

This wine whispers some sweet nothings in my ear. Whiff of strawberry and a little sprightly zip of acidity, but ever so gentle still. Well built with shapely curves. I would never have picked this wine was having been made from anything remotely resembling Malbec. It had been suggested elsewhere that there was a very Viognier like character to this, which I can see. Red Viognier? Sure why not. I can see this wine standing up to grilled whatever or going just fine with crisp salad greens.

This wine absolutely demands that you lounge while ingesting. The full vertical state is absolutely forbidden.

I am rapidly becoming a fan of all of the Balbo wines, certainly these very appealing priced selections. $12.99 at the CapHill store near my work? Cripes I almost felt bad payin' that little. Almost.

I used to be one of those who thought Rose was for wusses, but a few sips of the proper stuff has changed me round. Thank you ma'am may I have another.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Kelly Young wrote:I am rapidly becoming a fan of all of the Balbo wines

Off topic, but I recently tasted the Balbo Crios Torrontes (similar label) and was quite impressed. It's a name to look out for, fer sure.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm fond of Bonny Doon's Vin Gris de Cigare as an uncomplicated quaffer.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 am

I start the season by ordering a case of Syncline Columbia Valley Rosé. The 2009 vintage blend is a saignee of 37% Cinsault, 35% Counoise, 12% Grenache, 11% Mourvedre and 5% Carignan. It is bright and fruity with nice complexity. 13.8% ABV

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:37 am

WTN: `09 Château de Lancyre Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup Rosé.

I opened a bottle when down south in Milk River area last week. Everyone enjoyed this delicious rose and I intend to open another bottle this weekend! For me this is the best pinkie Lancyre has produced in the past three years.
Pale pink, almost medium-bodied with dried herbs and a juicy mid-palate. Great mouthfeel, especially in mid-palate. berryish, wonderful acidity. Winner at $19 Cdn.

Stay tuned, think David has a bottle lined up too?

Kelly, that Balbo seems to be a good wine eh. Might be here in town?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:WTN: `09 Château de Lancyre Coteaux du Languedoc Pic St. Loup Rosé.

I opened a bottle when down south in Milk River area last week. Everyone enjoyed this delicious rose and I intend to open another bottle this weekend! For me this is the best pinkie Lancyre has produced in the past three years.
Pale pink, almost medium-bodied with dried herbs and a juicy mid-palate. Great mouthfeel, especially in mid-palate. berryish, wonderful acidity. Winner at $19 Cdn.

Stay tuned, think David has a bottle lined up too?

Kelly, that Balbo seems to be a good wine eh. Might be here in town?

Bob, as you know I am a fan of the Lancyre wines or at least most of them. I too am drinking the 09, and agree that it is a real keeper. However, as good as it is, it would be a heck of a foot race to name a winner from any vintage from about 2000 on. And, I don't think I have missed a vintage. This is a Hand Picked Selections (HPS) wine and many know that I am an HPS slut. http://www.winemerchant.net/

I am $NFI$ regarding HPS, just a repeat customer.

Another pinkie that I found this late spring, and will surely be a repeat customer of is the JK Carriere "White Pinot Noir". I placed those words in parenthesis to call attention to them. When I contacted the winery about the wine, I asked them why they call it white pinot, and was told that when they started to make the wine the US Gov agency that oversaw that told them that they had to call it that and could not call it rosé. So that generated an attitude that the would by golly they would make it a success in spite of having to call it white pinot. Anyway, this wine is made of grapes from 29+ year old Temperance Hill vineyard and could easily be made as a red, and sold for 2X the price (at least). I paid $22 per for it by the case, and feel that I stole it. The one bottle I opened was in a setting not conducive for note taking, so I will try to remember to post a TN next time.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Glad to have you join in the fun Bob!

I'm cooling down a Nigl Zweigelt Rosé for tonight to go along with some grilled bratwurst.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Palette (rosé) 2005 – Château Simone, Rougier – Alc. 13%- (€32 for the current vintage) – made from grenache (45%), mourvèdre (30%), cinsault, syrah, carignan and muscats (2008 statistics) with an average vine age of 50 years.

Palette is a small appellation just south east of the superb city of Aix-en-Provence and situated in a north facing amphitheatre which allows unusual freshness for that latitude. IMO Château Simone produce arguably the finest white in the South of France and I have memories of previous vintages of their pink which I would place close to the finest which I have had, namely a Sancerre rosé 1996 from Cotat (François, I think).

This 2005 was not on that level though more complex than most. Colour was an attractively deep salmon. The nose held out a lot of hope showing rather Burgundian aromas of cherry and plum plus a lacing of grilled meat and spice. The palate did quite deliver what the nose promised; there was more density of fruit and body than in most pinks as well as some tannic structure and fair length but I found the fruit somewhat too sweet, perfumed and short on acidity to be ideal for my taste. Maybe a touch more evolution would be beneficial; I have one bottle left; 15.5/20++.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 pm

2009 Nigl Zweigelt Rose
Crisp, almost spritzy in mouthfeel - this is very refreshing and in the watermelon/underripe strawberry vein. Nice - if not profound.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Château de Ségriès Tavel Rosé 2009

14,10€; 14,5% abv; Grenache 50%, Cinsault 30%, Syrah 10%, Clairette 10%. Very deep pink. Quite a simple aroma of very sweet strawberry and some nice, savoury, earthy notes to counter the sweetness. Very full bodied, dry but with much sweetness of fruit. It has some tannins, but low acidity, so the sheer magnitude of fruit becomes rather overwhelming. The alcohol is very noticeable. I very much prefer lighter rosés.

I have not yet found a Tavel that I would have enjoyed - the ones available here have always seem simple, sweet and massively alcoholic. So who does the good ones?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Next