WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby TomHill » Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Tried this last night at dinner:
1. Dom.Andre et Mireille Tissot Traminer AC: Arbois/Jura (13%) V par StephaneTissot 2004: Med.dark gold color; some spicy/floral/nutmeg/GWT/perfumed rather earthy/minerally/chalky slight nutty/oxidized very interesting/unusual nose; tart/lean/minerally/chalky mildly spicy/floral/GWT slight nutty/oxidized interesting flavor; long rather minerally/chalky/earthy/stoney light floral/spicy/GWT fairly lean/austere interesting finish; speaks mostly of Arbois minerality/chalky w/ nuances of spicy/GWT; a very interesting rendition of Traminer. $27.00
___________________________
A wee BloodyPulpit:
1. Oftentimes, "interesting" is used to describe a wine you don't like but feel compelled to say something nice about. In this case "interesting" .NOT.= "bad". I really liked this wine and appreciated its minerality and low-key GWT character. Nice stuff.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Rahsaan » Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 pm

TomHill wrote: a very interesting rendition of Traminer.


You do know that Traminer is another local name for Savagnin. So it has nothing to do with Gewurztraminer. I was also confused/surprised when I first had the wine and thought it was Gewurztraminer. But I liked it regardless.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6960
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby TomHill » Wed May 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
TomHill wrote: a very interesting rendition of Traminer.

You do know that Traminer is another local name for Savagnin. So it has nothing to do with Gewurztraminer. I was also confused/surprised when I first had the wine and thought it was Gewurztraminer. But I liked it regardless.


I guess I did know that, but had forgotten it. But the slightly floral character spoke to me of a mild-mannered GWT-like wine.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Dan Donahue » Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm

I thought that Savagnin and Gewürztraminer were both spin-offs of Traminer. Challenging to keep them straight, especially since the names (with many other variations) are interchanged at times.
Je ne peux pas le faire
Dan Donahue
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: IL

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Dan Smothergill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Better late than...
According to Jancis, Savagnin and Traminer have identical DNA and Gewurztraminer is the musque mutation of Traminer.
User avatar
Dan Smothergill
Wine guru
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Andrew Bair » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Tom -

Thanks for the interesting note. I've never encountered as Savagnin that was actually labeled as Traminer, though Dan and Rahsaan are both right - Savagnin and the non-spicy Traminer are indeed the same thing.

Confusingly, there are some wines from Alto Adige that are labeled as "Traminer", which are definitely Gewurztraminer, as opposed to Savagnin.
Andrew Bair
Wine guru
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Yup...

Postby TomHill » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:Hi Tom -
Thanks for the interesting note. I've never encountered as Savagnin that was actually labeled as Traminer, though Dan and Rahsaan are both right - Savagnin and the non-spicy Traminer are indeed the same thing.
Confusingly, there are some wines from Alto Adige that are labeled as "Traminer", which are definitely Gewurztraminer, as opposed to Savagnin.


I don't see often AltoAdige wines labeled as Traminer...usually as GWT, Andrew. But they usually speak strongly of GWT when I do try them.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Andrew Bair » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 pm

TomHill wrote:
Andrew Bair wrote:Hi Tom -
Thanks for the interesting note. I've never encountered as Savagnin that was actually labeled as Traminer, though Dan and Rahsaan are both right - Savagnin and the non-spicy Traminer are indeed the same thing.
Confusingly, there are some wines from Alto Adige that are labeled as "Traminer", which are definitely Gewurztraminer, as opposed to Savagnin.


I don't see often AltoAdige wines labeled as Traminer...usually as GWT, Andrew. But they usually speak strongly of GWT when I do try them.
Tom


Actually, I've also had an Austrian 'Traminer' eiswein, which was most likely Gewurz given the pronounced floral aromas.
Andrew Bair
Wine guru
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Oliver McCrum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Traminer Aromatico is the Italian way of saying Gewürztraminer, at least outside of the German labelled wines of the Alto Adige. (The smaller producers all use German, some of the larger producers use Italian labels for export marketing.)

I think the Alto Adige region is having trouble giving up on GWZ as indigenous, although they clearly must. Well, the name is indigenous...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
Oliver McCrum
Wine guru
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Carl Eppig » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Back in the early mid '60s when we lived near Nancy, France; we could wines from Alsace made from both Traminer and Gewurtztraminer at our local store. Don't remember the producers, but both wines were very different.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man
 
Posts: 4003
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: Tissot Traminer Arbois '04....(short/boring)

Postby Victorwine » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:02 pm

“Traminer” (like “Pinot” and “Muscat”) should be viewed as a “family of grapes”. Consisting of possible several variations- “White Traminer”; “Red Traminer”; “Gris Traminer”; “Large berry Traminer”; “Small berry Traminer”; “Musque (aromatic) Traminer”; “Non Musque (non- aromatic) Traminer”; “Spicy Traminer”; etc. Since most of us only deal with the wines produced from grapes (the various wine styles and types- “oxidation style” vs. “non- oxidation style”; barrel vs. stainless steel for instance) just makes things more complicated. The name “Gewürztraminer” or “Spicy Traminer” came about because of a particular style or type of wine that was produced from a given grape. (Or in some cases just by the way the grape tasted and smelled, what it looked like, where it came from etc.)

Salute
User avatar
Victorwine
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 10:51 pm


Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests